1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Blue Headed Wrasse Agression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Jul 23, 2016.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have a blue headed wrasse and he has been showing signs of aggression out of nowhere recently. Mainly towards the blue chromis'. Nothing has changed or been added to the tank in months. I've noticed one of the chromis has been hanging out in the upper back corner the past week and I didn't think much of it. Well today I took a closer look and he is pretty beat up, so I watched for a while and the wrasse is constantly going after him.
    He doesn't seem to be going after any of the other fish. What's going to be the best course of action? It's going to take some work to catch the little **** head, so removing him would be a last resort. I've heard of the mirror trick for tangs, would this work for the wrasse?
    Help!

2. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    After observing these wrasse over a week period in the reefs on vacation I would conclude they are natural born jerks. They claim a territory, about 10 feet around and attack anything that gets near it, person or bigger fish. Maybe some are calm but I'd say that's a fluke.

3. I don't know anything about the aquascape of your tank so it is very possible this question ends up being absurd. Can you do anything to re-aquascape? I have three wrasses that I love one of them was starting that same crap. I was fortunate enough at the time to be able to move some things around and that gave the tank some time to re-establish the natural order of things.
    Risk of course is that if the fish is truly an overly territorial bugger it might cause it to want to claim turf even more than before. I guess it comes down to how established the rockwork/reef is and how big the tank itself is. I would pull the chromis though and give him time to recover. They won't last long when stressed and skiddish like that....