1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! Biocube 29

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pygmey, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Well I am starting another one.. So far have the walt smith rock in, no sand this time, removed the bioballs, MP10WES and nano probe holder. Will be ripping out the lights and upgrading to LEDS, adding a Tunze auto topoff and building an algae scrubber for the back compartment. Might grab some ceramic balls to put in it as well.

[​IMG]

2. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Anyone else running a biocube? Just curious what others are using.

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Me me me. 29 bio cube Radion light, wp10 for flow. Dinner heater, smart ato. Weekly water changes.

4. Fishunt Nano Nano

Norwalk
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My current setup:
    Sicce silent 1.0 return plumbed into a y loc-line
    Jebao rw4
    AL 115 skimmer in chamber 1
    InTank water director
    Chamber 2 has egg crate media rack with filter floss and carbon bag and egg crate/plexi chaeto fuge
    100w eheim heater
    Aqualifter diy ato
    Diy fuge light
    LED retro into stock hood
    ReefKeeper Lite with pH and temp probes

5. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Very nice.. Just put my clowns in the tank.. Now I need to get my LED light ordered soon.. After that I might try the Smart ATO Micro top off.. Then build an algae scrubber in the back.

6. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Today I upgraded the lighting in the Biocube to a Steve's LED retrofit. I have their old one in my other biocube and the new version is much easier to install. No wiring needed anymore. The new controller is pretty nice too.

First I had to take the lens off and there are lots of things to gut out

[​IMG]

Still gutting...

[​IMG]

We are now fully gutted

[​IMG]

Lots of parts removed....

[​IMG]

Test fit the Steve's LED retro kit

[​IMG]

Then I had to modify the lens to fit over the blower, installed the hood back on the hinges on the tank, and fired it up

[​IMG]

Pretty slick... The hardest part was cutting the fan slots to make them larger and cutting the lens to fit the blower. The blower is much quieter than the old fans and this was a brand new tank. Also the new controller is the Hurricane X which is pretty nice compared to the old Typhoon controller. This one is much smoother on the transition for brightness.

The old version required more wiring.. This new one is so slick and the price has come down too.. Love this company and their lights.

7. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Anyone need any power compact parts? :)

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Steve's does some pretty interesting stuff. They make all my LED boards & drivers so I get a little inside info about what they have coming to market, that controller was one of them.

They do a lot of stuff outside the aquarium industry as well. They supply hydro growth fixtures to universities for studies, and one time when they were fresh out of Deep Reds I was like "who else uses that many of them?" and the answer was odd. You know those indoor skydiving things? Well they use a ton of LEDs to get various color effects and Deep Reds are one of them I guess...they peeled off about half a reel on one of those jobs

9. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    The controller is interesting. You set your max intensity for the channels you are using. Then you set the length of sunrise. Instead of setting each step level you just set max with sunrise time length and then sunset time length. Also supports moon phases, cloud setting and storms