1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Best place to buy mature live rock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek34, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on where would be the best place to purchase or get mature live rock. It would be great if I could purchase some that already had diverse biological activity as well as some coralline growth. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
  3. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I am looking for the same thing for a nano tank in setting up.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I bought quite a bit from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It is pricey, but the amount of diversity and hitchhikers is well worth it.

5. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Definitely good stuff. Full of life.

6. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    R2R has some good information on Tampa Bay Saltwater. It sounds like the shipping it is pretty expensive, it seems like a great place to do a group buy for some excellent rock. I would not mind a few new pieces rock from them if someone ever wants to do a group buy. I like how they take man made rock and place in in the ocean so it cures and comes shipped with great biodiversity.

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Rock is very heavy to begin with, and they actually ship in bags of water so everything lives. Well worth the extra shipping. And it is really not that bad if you use the airlines and pick it up at the airport. I actually had fish come alive in my bag of rock.

8. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    +1 for TBS. Only downside was mine came with 4 mantis shrimp and several gorilla crabs that I battled for a while.

9. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I would be interested in a group buy if shipping isn’t to crazy I really only need 20-25 pounds of rock and 15 pounds of sand.

10. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I would be interested in a group purchase.. Just be careful with what hitchhikers you get. Shipping does cost alot because they actually ship the rock in water so it doesnt have alot of die off like other shippers.

11. I have around a hundred pounds i removed from my 75 gal when i moved. Im in waterloo and have it still cycling in a 55gal brute container 1$ per pound if you take it all mixed macro rock and 1 tonga piece and some base rock
    3194647565 for text i dont log on much as of late.

12. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    PM'd you Joshua.jebe

13. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Would also be interested in a TBS group buy.