1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Begining of the year tank tour *JANUARY 30TH*

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by adampottebaum, Jan 13, 2010.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    It's time for another tank tour! It's been too long since everyone's seen each others tanks and we also have some new members in the area for everyone to meet. There should be plenty of new stuff for people to see since we just had Fall Fest! We will also have another tank tour later on in the year.
    For those of you who have never been on a tank tour, we will all meet at one person's house where they will show us their tank, setup, and answer any questions we have for them. Once everyone is there and we've seen enough, we'll go to the next person's house, then the next, you get the idea.
    The tank tour is free for all PAID members, if you haven't paid the small $20 membership to become a GIRS Member, you will have a one time pass to an area's event(tank tour, pizza and bowling, X-mas party...) and you are welcome to join the tour to see all the wonderful benefits you'll receive by becoming a member.
    A couple dates to keep in mind(please add to the list if there's an important event you can think of)-
    Sunday, January 24th: NFL AFC/NFC Championships
    Sunday, February 7th: NFL Superbowl
    Sunday, February 14th: Valentine's Day
    I think it would work best to talk about what dates work best and then at the end of the week we can have a poll.
    The dates I think would work the best are:

Saturday, January 23rd
    Saturday, January 30th
    Sunday, January 31st
    Saturday, February 6th
    Saturday, February 13th

2. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Adding to the dates already:

Sunday, January 24th: NFL AFC/NFC Championships
    Sunday, February 7th: NFL Superbowl
    Sunday, February 14th: Valentine's Day

3. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The dates I think would work the best are:

Saturday, January 23rd
    Saturday, January 30th
    Sunday, January 31st
    Saturday, February 6th
    Saturday, February 13th

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    In the previous poll we started, there were a few people that said they could be stops, please let me know if you still want to be a stop so we can plan a route. The people who said they could be a stop were Casey(ruggerkc), Trent(tgauger), and Josh(waterfowler). I've talked to Matt(skeakyport) and he said he could also be a stop. I too can be a stop, I got all my fish and corals put into my 125 this morning, I should have the rock work figured out, but the corals might not look the greatest while they're adjusting to new lights. If my place isn't a stop I won't be offended, it will look real nice in about 2-3 months when everything is settled in.

This tank tour will be a great time for people to have everyone stop by their place and get helpful tips or suggestions to see what they could improve. There is a vast amount of knowledge being spread throughout the tour. If you would like your place to be a stop, please don't be shy, we love seeing new tanks!

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I could be a stop if you are looking for more places to bounce to, It's just a 29 gallon but there's some fun stuff to look at.

How about making this a poker run style tank tour? Just an idea but it could go like this, everyone draws a card at every stop, the person with the best hand at the end of the tour wins a prize.

Anyone up to the "2 beer per stop challenge"?

/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oo oo i want to do the 2 beer per stop.....can anyone drive me 2 hours home afterwards :)

7. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I would be willing to be a stop! I have a 210. I could make jan 23rd work but another weekend would work better.
    Brian

8. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am ready to see some tanks and drink some beer!!!

9. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I like beer!
    I can make any time but january 23.
    We can be a stop, see our frags.

10. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most anytime will work for me...

11. paulk

paulk Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can be a stop, Jan 23rd works best for me, Feb 6 is a possibility, the rest of the dates I can't do. I'll have a 125 to look at. Hope to have fish by that time. But have plenty of corals starting out.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I should be able to make anything but the 23rd, as long as it is a Sat after noon

13. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would prefer to have it before the middle of Feb. due to my wife being due around the 14th. If that doesn't work no biggie, my tank will look cooler next year.

14. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ok, now that the regional forums are working again we can try to get this thing rolling again. It sounds like everyone wants it next weekend, January 30th. Any later we run into problems for everyone(including me) and any earlier we will miss everyone scheduled to work and everything. I just don't see it being any other weekend unless we wanted to make it late February, which I'm sure no body wants.

Is January 30th the consensus? Does this not work for anyone?

I need to know by Wednesday so I can make sure I take it off, and I'm sure everyone else will want a heads up to figure out other scheduling conflicts.

Please respond to this as soon as you can so we can decide on a date.

Also, if you have any friends that don't check the site out very often, let them know of this so they can check it out. I look forward to seeing a whole bunch of tanks in the very near future!

Adam

15. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Should work for me...looking forward to seeing whats out there for tanks...

16. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Should be good for Carrie and I.

17. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    3oth works for me too

18. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ok the 30th it is! Now, let's talk stops.

These are the people who expressed interest in being a stop. Please respond if you are still interested so we can start planning a route. We won't be able to stop at everyone's place this tank tour, but we can stop at the people's places we missed next time.

Casey(ruggerkc)-can be a stop.
    Josh(waterfowler)- Maybe a stop.
    Jeremy(waverz)- Can be a stop.
    Brian(fmsill) - Can be a stop.
    Brad(bhoward)- Can be a stop.

Then, to give the people being stops an idea of how many people to expect, we should have a rough estimate of attendees:
    Me
    David
    Ross
    Casey(and Carrie)
    Jeremy
    Matt
    Will
    Brad

19. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If people don't mind, can someone take 1-2 pictures of people's tanks as u stop and post them for other interested parties?

-Strong

20. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will do...[​IMG]