1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Back at it! (Finally!!)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CMC319, Feb 2, 2017.

1. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hey all. After about nine years off I have finally jumped back on the reef wagon. My work took me on an 8 year adventure overseas, moving around far too much to attempt/justify keeping my aquarium hobby going. I’m currently up and running with my 125gal dual overflow RR. I spent the better part of a year researching and purchasing equipment. So much changes in this hobby over a decade! Doing it right this time. APEX controller has been playing nice and has definitely changed my methods! I love that thing! Tank finished its cycle in October 2016, since then I have been SLOWLY adding softies and a few LPS. Two Clowns and a Fox Face is all I have thus far for fish.

If you asked me what my biggest lesson learned was from my first Reef aquarium it would have to be that patience is “make or break” in this hobby.

Really looking forward to learning a thing or two from those of you who have been keeping up with the hobby.

-Chad

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Welcome back to the hobby! Sounds like you're off to a good start.. any pics of the tank?

3. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    At work now, I will try and get a few up tonight. It’s been smooth so far (Knock on wood). The last time I had a tank I rushed it, got too excited and made the mistake that a lot of new hobbyist make. Too much to quick. The APEX is nice but holy cow it can do so much! Still wrapping my head around that animal. I’m in the process of installing electromagnetic locks on my cabinet (curious 9 month old). Ran through the break out box I will be able to unlock the cabinet from my phone. But yeah, everything is progressing as planned. I missed it so much, just forgot how painful that first few months is starring at an empty tank. All worth it

4. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap! I just creep’d on your threads. Those are some awesome tank builds! 5 year plan involves building a house. The first thing I’m drawing up is the “fish room”. Impressive stuff, man. I’m going to be digging through your stuff for some ideas.

5. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Hehe, thanks. I'll probably get an update posted at some point. I ended up having marine velvet completely wipe out my tank so that set me back for a while. I now follow a QT routine which has slowed down adding new inhabitants considerably (also slows down expenses I suppose). My tank and wall are still untrimmed after 6 months.. which is pretty embarrassing. My wife and I can't agree on anything so we're still just looking at rough cut drywall around the border of the tank.