1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? ATO pump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Sep 7, 2018.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    In search of an ATO pump for my Red Sea Max 30g cube using a JBJ ATO. Pump needs to pump water from a container in the cabinet under the tank to the top of the tank - 48" head height.

I've been using an Aqua lifter. In the winter when the evaporation is 1 gal/week, it works fine. In the summer time when evaporation is 3 gal/week, it can't keep up. The pump is currently sitting on the shelf below the tank - about 16" from the floor of the stand.

I've tried changing the diaphram, but that hasn't helped. I've changed the JBJ ATO to the maximum run time.

I prefer not to have a pump with 1/2" tubing - concerned for overflow, if it would ever fail. My controller is NOT an Apex - so the Neptune pump is not an option.

I've looked at 3 options: 1) BRS 50 ml peristalic pump; 2) Avast Marine diaphram pump; 3) Tunze osmolater pump - if I could get someone to modify it for me to hook it up to a power supply.

The reviews on all 3 options contains comments about them being loud - with the Tunze probably the loudest. Does anyone have any experience with any of these pumps? Any other suggestions?

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    The avast marine peristalic pump is ultra quiet

Sent from my iPhone via App

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Do you have one?

4. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tunze is what I'm using. It's definitely noisy, but not intolerable. It's a nice reassurance to hear it to let me know it's working! As for the BRS dosers, I think they're pretty good as well. Mine are 1.1 though, but are more quiet than the osmolator pump.

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Yes I did. I sold it because I bought a apex atk for which the pmup is pretty noisy in comparison

6. BrandonD32 Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0
    I run a Tunze Osmolator and it is decently quiet. I can hear the water pumping into the sump while it is running, but I cannot hear the pump.

7. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I love my autoaqua smart micro ato it’s supper quiet and very reliable. Been running for two years without fail

8. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
  9. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Tunze here. I don't find the noise bad at all and my setup is nearly silent. I do hear it kick on occasionally but it is in frequent and short lived. Like @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay said, It provides me a bit of reassurance that all is well.

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    An Aqua Lifter is only rated for a 30" max lift. I am surprised it works that well for you. I use one on my system where at worst I'm loosing about 8gal/week with good results but my t.o. tank is at the same level as my sump to where I pump to. If you have a sump on the unit you could try pumping to there instead of up to the tank.
    Apex does offer a 24v power supply you can plug their pump into and run it off of 110v if you preferred that pump.
    I use the 1.1ml/min brs pumps for dosing but I've seen a lot of bad reviews for the 50ml version. They don't seem to hold up as well.

11. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I had a tunze system pumping against 6’-7’ of static head. Reservoir was in basement on a stand, tank was on main floor. Never had any issues for 4+ years until we moved houses.

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay @Barrett@Barrett - can I come over to your houses to check out those pumps?

@Waterrat41@Waterrat41 - yah, the reviews weren't that great on the 50ml pump. i have a half dozen of the 1.1ml units and they work great. Thanks for the info on the Apex.

@Roman@Roman - you didn't happen to sell you avast to someone in this area? I'd like to check it out. If it's any good, I'm surprised that BRS doesn't sell it.

13. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I sold it to Anthony aka saltwater unlimited or pufferman I think on Girs

14. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
  15. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I reflect that Barrett said, you're welcome any time!