1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Asterina Starfish Outbreak!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 1172, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everybody! So I bought some zoa frags from Jeanette at Spring Fest and they are amazing. Gradually, however, they've seemed to be closed up more and appear to be melting away. I've had issues with zoa eating nudibranchs in the past, so I have a decent idea as to what they look like when a pest is bothering them. Well, last night I found my culprit. I witnessed an asterina star going to town on one of the frags. So, does anybody have any good remedies to get rid of asterina stars? I've already bought a harlequin shrimp and it has made a dent, but apparently the population is massive. None of my other corals are showing any signs that they're becoming lunch though. Just my zoas. I'm about ready to buy another harlequin just to keep things under control!! Man, this is a bummer!

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Let your harlequin do work and when it's belly is full and no more stars appear, I'll take it off your hands. I've had a #$%@ing infestation for a year now and they're depleting my smaller zoas. They don't go after the larger ones.

I think I read something about harlequins eating 50 asterinas per day? They are voracious. How long has it been in your tank?

3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Also I manually remove as many as I can after lights-out or right when the lights come on and they're all over the glass. Pluck them out and toss them. It helps keep the population under control somewhat. I think my shortage of CuC members is assisting the outbreak. Pulled my hermits because they were picking at corals. No more crabs in my tank. So now I'll manually remove a couple dozen asterina and they're all RIGHT BACK TO WHERE WE STARTED A WEEK LATER. :mad:

4. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's been in the tank for probably close to a month! I don't see anywhere near as many, but I start pulling them once the lights are out. Whenever my zoas start bouncing back, I'll swap you the shrimp! Lol

5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I throw mine in the dump to help keep it clean. If the population is t and at massive, you can grow the astars to keep the harlequin shrimp alive

6. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Spongy, that's a great idea! I didn't think of that. My sump has a pretty decent amount of detritus and mulm that could easily feed them!

7. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    How's the outbreak?

8. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well..... I'm a bit of a dummy. Apparently to me, sexy shrimp and harlequin shrimp look very similar. I have a sexy shrimp. Lol so I still have a lot of asterina stars in the tank. Been trying to pull them when I see them, though. I'm hoping to put in a Liveaquaria order soon, so I'll probably buy one then!

9. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Welp, I guess we figured out why they weren't putting a dent in the starfish population!

10. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha! Exactly! Fortunately, my zoas are still holding on for the time being.