1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Arduino Reef Controller - Build Thread (Well Maybe)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThyRaven, May 19, 2011.

1. ThyRaven

ThyRaven Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So a few months ago I broke down and bought an Arduino Uno and an Ethernet shield that will go sit on top that has a built in web server for reporting and even web based controls of the controller.
    I am trying to configure the controller to maintain water temp, hood temp, room temp, pH, and salinity.  Not sure I really need the salinity checker, if I do run it that would be a once a week test probably before and then after the water change.   Speaking of water change, I also want the controller to handle it for me.  I might add in feed later but I may keep that as a job for me to handle.   And lastly, I'd like it to control my lighting.  Looking to go with the LED fixtures JB is building for his 120g tank.  I may later on add in dosing of Calcium but right now I don't for see needing that option.  
    Then once the Arduino can do all of that I want to be able to see the "postings" of data collected on a web page.  I'd also like to set up controls for the web interface so I can say turn on the lights to the tank if I'm at work and my colleagues want to see my reef.
    To sum this up I am looking more for help getting circuits designed and maybe some pointers on code.  I'm game if we want to work on a GIRS Controller Kit.  I mention that as I was reading a 24 page thread on RC about this $80 Arduino Kit that got scraped and all ya get is a crummy Eagle file on the 23rd page to try and figure out on your own.
    I tend to be in chat from 7PM CDT til around midnight Wednesday thru Friday while I am bored at work since I work over nights so feel free to join me there.  Or I am also on PingChat as thyraven, YIM as cha0s_elemental, and on MSN as raven_tech@hotmail.com.

2. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude that's awesome! Can you post a link to that RC page?

3. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    oops not on RC, they're on nano-reef.

here is the big one:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196161&hl=Arduino

I'm also following:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180805

and

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269952

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  5. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yea i've looked thru that site as well but cant seem to follow it. My big issue is finding the probes. I have temp sensors. cant remember where i got them right this second but i got them as samples so they were free! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/biggrin.gif

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I wanted to use an Arduino for controlling LEDs on a DIY light, as well as monitoring and controlling temp, running dosers, etc. I think it will be a next-winter project but I will definitely follow this thread and the other ones you posted...

7. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good Turbo.

I'm having an issue finding a pH Probe right now. Anyone have a pH probe for sale? Just the probe don't need the controller.

LED control is done easily. Just set the PWM pin to control it. With the programming it'll increase the voltage on that pin up to 10v which will control the dimming power supply for the LEDs. If I find the site that has the code for it, I'll pass it along.

8. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ThyRaven, I don't think the PWM pin will hit 10v by itself, however there are a couple ways to do it.
    http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1285345010
    This post has some insight.
    Also I think it's also easy to do with a mosfet.
    I'm slowly working on the same thing.
    edit: just confirmed it only can hit 5V.
    http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM
    This tutorial shows how to get the Vin voltage controlled by a pwm, which could be 9v or 12v depending on wall adapter. This is good though. If you have a 12 volt Vin you can use a multimeter check what level you need to set your pwm pin at to hit 10v out of your mosfet. Then its super easy to wire up a potentiometer to control it.
    http://www.ladyada.net/products/rgbledstrip/
    I used some code like this on a RGB LED, but haven't had to use a mosfet yet. Hopefully if i get some free time this weekend I will get to hook one up.
    Sparkfun has a powershield with 6 mosfets to the 6 pwm pins, i have it but haven't had the chance to play with it yet. Otherwise you can just buy the mosfets individually and wire up your own circuit. I have some spare mosfets that I also plan on playing with.

9. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    must not have re read what I posted. Off of the PWM pin you need to build a voltage doubler as the PWN pin only does 5 volts, but then again I've read / seen a lot of people only using 80% of the LEDs power so you may not need the doubler. Still working on more getting accurate readings than controlling lights right now but they are on the build table once everything else is done

Is salinity a big thing to monitor? If so at what frequency? I've heard that to measure it accurately you pass electricity thru the water. Not sure I want to shock my tank every hour.

Also still looking for the pH probe. Anyone seen one for cheap?

10. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure about salinity, I read some of the Nano-Reef thread you posted and noticed they were having trouble with it too.

11. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've read that post like 8 times now and still havent figured out half of the stuff they were talking about lol.

I wish they gave more info on it where a person such as myself wouldnt be going bald trying to figure out what parts they used and where they got them from. Almost makes me wish I bought a Reef Angel

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I must be missing something, because I was looking at having TheFishMan65 on RC build a board for me and that had PWM inputs that ran on 5V. Why would you need to double the voltage coming out of the Arduino output if it is designed for connection to a PWM input at 5V?

13. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Most LED dimmers I've seen, the dimmer needs a full 10v for it to max the output power to the LEDs. I might be misreading things but that's how I understood the dimmer controls on the dimmers JB is using in his LED thread.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Not the way I understand it. a PWM input on a CAT4101 for instance is just a switch basically, it operates on whatever voltage it needs to turn it on and off. So maybe it's the component that is driving the 10V thing. Fishman's board runs 8 strings of 6 LEDs and has 2 power inputs, and one of them steps down the input voltage that drives the LEDs down to 5V for PWM operation. Works in perfect concert with any 5V PWM output.

15. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was basing this off the use of the Meanwell I have. There are two types. One takes a pwm input and one takes a 0-10v input, I have the one that takes 0-10v because I got it cheaper on a group buy.

I'm not sure what Fishman has, I would be very interested in seeing or reading about his setup. Did he ever have a thread about it?

Side Note:
    I really want to pick up one of these LED drivers to play with too.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=752&osCsid=kj4de6gcg5jtls5lr6ltgh7pv7

16. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Found these sites to assist me in building my temp sensors. You can get samples from www.maxim.com - samples = FREE! You get 2 that way also. So I have 1 for my tank and 1 for either my sump or hood haven't decided where I want the second one yet. May order 1 or 2 more so I have sensors in the tank, sump, hood, and room air temp as well. Not that I think I really need to keep track of all those locations but hey I like to go above and beyond /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/biggrin.gif

next project the pH probe. anyone see anything on salinity yet? Would a float weight system work for measuring salinity / specific gravity?

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yeah, the main thread is currently pushing 7000 posts, so take a week or two and read it. Bring Advil.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678127

And TheFishMan65 does summary write-ups and catalogs them in his own thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18456146

The last LED summary he did was #6267 I think. I haven't looked at the thread lately but pics of his LED driver board are on there somewhere. It was developed by him & kcress

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You got free samples of half naked girls?  Sweet!  But how did that help you with your project?

19. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry no half naked girls.  I got the temp sensors from www.maxim-ic.com as samples not to be confused with www.maxim.com where you wont get free components.

20. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So I am trying to figure out what I need for 1 wire devices to my Arduino. I am looking at getting this: http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/4382 but not sure if I need something in between it and the Arduino itself. I know I can plug my temp sensors (DS18S20) into the DS2482-100. On reefprojects.com he uses a RTC (DS1307) so I am grabbing a couple of them as well. Not sure I need the RTC but I better have one on hand just in case. Also anyone know where I can get a LCD and this http://www.web4robot.com/LCDCtrl.html? Looks like the webroot site is having issues where I can't order them.

Now if anyone else is looking for these components just go to www.maxim-ic.com and register with a company email address, sorry public servers wont work - yahoo, hotmail, aol are all public). If there is a big interest in a specific part I could order them but I think we'd have to have a minimum order of 1000. If you just need two, you can get free samples.