1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone own a Seneye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Armydog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So I recently purchased a Reef Seneye. It tests your ph, NO3, NO4, O2, par, lux, Kelvin, and temperature it also lets me know when the unit is out of the water with a text message and email.

So far Im really impressed with this unit. I compared the par results that I got with seneye with the club par meter and they are almost dead on.

Its only $10 for a new slide. Each slide lasts 30 days. But you dont have to replace the slide if you dont want to but you wont get accurate results for ph and ammonia if you dont.

$199 for all that imo isnt bad for everything it does. A par meter runs you $300 alone
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 24, 2015, Original Post: Nov 24, 2015 ---
    Also they are in the process of creating more tests that it can monitor

2. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    these are sweet im getting one for x mas

3. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I have one. It's ok. The cost of the slides is the biggest downside. Also, it takes 3-4 days to adjust to your tank water out of the package and you have to soak it in your actual water in the sump etc, not in a cup of your tank water. For some reason the lack of temp/flow or something it won't calibrate. The readings start getting screwy after about 32-33 days from the initial soak, so it gives you 28-30 days of accuracy. Also, you need to have an old laptop near your tank to plug it into if you want readings over the internet. The other option is to buy their ridiculously priced web server that makes it internet ready. And then it has to be near an Ethernet plug unless you buy the one with the wifi attachment. I had an old laptop sitting around so it wasn't an issue for me. A normal wifi network hub won't work, and previously the only thing that would connect it was the Belkin Home Base, which has been discontinued and was a PITA. The par meter works great and I like that it tracks my parameters and has a good UI to view it all. About 2-3 days a month the Seneye servers don't work and it won't upload your data so you can't see the most recent parameters are over the internet. It's worth it probably for the par meter alone but I wouldn't describe it as any type of replacement for an Apex or Reefkeeper.

4. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Actually you can plug it into a wifi extender and it works.

I have the sws for it but I saw a YouTube video where a guy has it plugged straight into a wifi extender

5. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Really? if you find the link send it to me. I tried two or three different ones and it wouldn't connect to anything.

Oh and do you mean the SWS plugged into one? I mean the seneye plugged directly into one.

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Hopefully that works
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 24, 2015 ---
    Yay It did lol

7. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Yeah that's the Home Base. It's discontinued and doesn't receive any updates anymore and isn't compatible with Windows beyond Windows 7. I ordered one off Ebay a year or so ago for $99. It took me forever to get it working right and the PC you install it with has to remain on and connected to the network for it to communicate through.

8. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Hmm well idk then. Maybe theres something else out there like it.

I know my sws is plugged into a $20 wifi extender so it was 199 additional to the seneye... but idk I still like it a lot.

I talked with them about possibly being a beta tester for the new tests coming out ;) they said that they will need testers and they will email when they are ready.

Imo my controller is a glorified power strip since it doesnt control my lights anymore since i have the ai director.

Idk I still love the seneye and $10 imo isnt much.

9. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Yeah I have it because I don't need the controller aspect of Apex etc. So I think it's good for monitoring and the par meter. The Belkin Home Base is basically a web server with a wifi extender built in, so that makes sense it works with the SWS. I just think they need to cut the cost of the web server and wifi adapter by about 50%. It's not a new technology. Belkin in fact stopped making the Home Base in part because most peripheral devices like printers etc, come with built in internet connectivity these days. The other reason is because it was crap and makes the user want to self-harm dealing with its quirks.

10. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    This is a screenshot from my mobile seneye app so people can see the basics of it. I can also go in and look at graphs of parameters for the previous months since setup.
    [​IMG]

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I use a netgear wifi Extender for mine ;)
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 24, 2015, Original Post: Nov 24, 2015 ---

Screenshot_2015-11-24-13-46-41.png

Screenshot_2015-11-24-13-46-57.png

--- Auto-Merged, Nov 24, 2015 ---

Screenshot_2015-11-24-13-48-45.png

Screenshot_2015-11-24-13-48-55.png

Screenshot_2015-11-24-13-48-59.png

12. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Thats weird. Your mobile app has a different apprearance from mine. Must be because of the SWS.

13. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    No mine looks the same thats just how it looks when you log into the sws

Screenshot_2015-11-24-15-22-39.png

14. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    How did you change it from C to F

15. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    If you go to the settings in the mobile app I have an option to choose between the two. With the seneye app open on my samsung note I hold the lower left menu key or whatever its called. A list of options pops up and settings is one of them. On the web site I don't remember, I'd have to look around to find it again.

16. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Got it thank you

I had to hold the back key on the right of the note 5 then it flipped around to all of the settings:)