1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone ever had a filter housing crack like this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    A few days ago I noticed my laminate floor I just installed last year was starting to buckle and swell. At first I thought it might have been water damage due to the kids spilling something abd not wiping it up right away. The next day it looked worse so last night I decided to check and see if the washing machine might be leaking. The washer looked fine but the carpet under it was soaked.
    That's when I discovered water dripping from my DI canister which is mounted to the wall. I figured maybe the o ring was leaking but it was only wet on the bottom. When I took it off the wall this is what I found.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently it was just weak and cracked from the water pressure. It sure did do a number to my flooring. Pissed.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That sucks, must have been dripping for quite some time to soak all your carpets and ruin the floors. I bet it took a real good hit at some point that severely weakened it, and/or started the crack. I've bounced mine off the concrete floor and saw no damage at all.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's been hanging on the wall since I installed it last year. I've never even replaced the resin in it. Weird

4. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it on an exterior wall that could have had some cold damage? I've had one crack just like that, that one of my friends left near an exterior wall and it froze and cracked. I don't know if that's possible where yours is located, but sure looks like what mine did. However it happened, bummer. Sorry!

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No it's in the washing machine closet on an interior wall. I was messing around with it this morning and noticed the unit doesn't shut off nor is it producing water. Then I noticed the pressure gauge on the membrane is pegged at 100psi. It looks like I may be having pressure issues either with my homes plumbing or the city is having issues. I'm nit exactly sure where household pressure is regulated.
    I contacted Air Water Ice about the cracked housing. They are replacing it FREE as well as a new ASOV.
    Now I just gotta find some nice rugs to cover up my trashed floor.

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You should have a water pressure gauge inside your house coming off the main. 100psi don't sound too bad, but it's at the Highest level. I think water supply company's have to provide from at least 50 to 100psi to there customers to thee house. Pressure in your house depends on your pipe size and so on!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  7. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Do the pipes in your house ever hammer when the washing machine or toilet stops filling? Does the pressure gauge go to 0 psi when you shut off the water to your RO system and vent it? If the gauge has been spiked, it will usually take an offset.

8. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    This is a cracked plumbing device ~ Homeowner insurance will likely pay for the damage...

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Never had any issues with hammering. I'm going to crawl around in the crawl space tomorrow and see if there's a pressure regulator. I assumed there would be one near the meter but both my old wonky house who knows?