1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anybody in Ames wanna do me a favor?

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by acidlittle, Nov 4, 2014.

1. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My tank is cycling and I have a bunch of baserock in there, some not in there. What I'm looking for is somebody who would let me throw a piece of rock in their tank/sump just so I could get some live goodies and maybe some coralline algae started? If not, no big deal, but if there is somebody willing to do that, excellent /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

2. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0

I'm in Ankeny but am willing to help out. Please be aware that live goodies are not always desirable goodies. I will scrape some algae off my rocks for you if that helps.

3. Whitey

Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -0
    I'm in Ames, and could do it. I do, however, have vermetid snails. Some people don't mind them, but I'd rather live without them. Other than that, I'm pest free.

4. Justin S. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pleasant Hill
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm willing to adopt a rock from you but it could take a long time for a quality live rock to develop, its not exactly an overnight process. Your better off to buy quality, established LR from somebody at $3/lb. Always ask them to be honest about things, ask questions like: have you ever had aiptasia, majano's, bryopsis, or anything bad in your aquarium? Bristle worms are worth asking about, just note that they are on the margin, and are probably always going to be something you'll have to just tolerate. Certainly take a close look at their system for those things / bring someone who knows what they are looking at with you if you can.

5. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Or you can just pick up one small live rock at a LFS for under $10 and add that.

6. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I do understand the risks, but have you seen the rocks at the stores in ames? they are awful and tanks are pitiful, I'd rather not buy any more rock, maybe I could trade a small rock with somebody if they had a need for some baserock? I just know I want to get some diversity going in there....
    I'm in no hurry because I'm still waiting on ordering some items, I just figured in March I could pick up the rock again and see what's on it!