1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Algae scrubber or protein skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avratney, Mar 26, 2017.

1. avratney

Aurora
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    So i have a homemade algae scrubber that works well and a protein skimmer that also works well should I be running both of them

2. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I have both and have been running both for years

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

3. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    same. I have both and they work great, and have for several years. If your tank starts getting too clean, it's easier to turn off the protein skimmer for several hours.

4. avratney

Aurora
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thats what i was wondering if it would be pulling out two much with both of them going

5. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I run both. No problems with pulling to much. I just feed alot.

6. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    It seems like running a protein skimmer is more normative when given the option of skimmer or algae scrubber but running both is best as long as you keep your nutrients in check.
    My question is, is running an algae scrubber more efficient than having a refugium? I know brs is doing an investigation on what type of light is best for refugiums but could that be obsolete if an algae scrubber is more effective and efficient than a refugium?

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    In my opinion/experience. I have better nutrient reduction with an algae scrubber. But I guess if you have a large enough space for a refugium it would do the same. I just never have long term success with the smaller refugium I have tried.
    Now I have 3 systems. One is skimmer and scrubber another is just a scrubber and the other is just a skimmer. I don't run GFO or biopellets. So I rely on water changes and scrubber and or just skimmer and scrubber for nutrients reduction. And I run unlit cryptic zones in my sumps that are full of rock and critters.
    The refugium I have tried died off or didn't grow anything but slime and hair algae so I just removed them.

8. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. In your experience which system has more algae in the display tank?
    I ran a refugium for a while but it also grew algaes that I didn't want like yours.
    Is a cryptic zone just a place for extra surface area?

9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I just started the algae scrubber only about 3 weeks ago. Before it was no skimmer just water changes. And I have hair algae. But it should start going away soon. The scrubber is growing really well.
    My other tanks hardly any algae in display. That is with scrubber and skimmer.
    Cryptic Zone is just an unlit area in my sump with rock for more surface area and it has a bunch of sponges, pods, worms, tube worms and stuff growing in it.

10. avratney

Aurora
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input and will continue to run both i was just interested in the clubs opinion on it as have heard and read some articles that one or the other where being used but not together