1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Adding fish to established tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Nov 10, 2016.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I can grow corals like crazy - but have a difficult time adding fish to my tanks. I know - not the same thing - so I'm asking for advice.

I always QT (almost always) new fish. Problem comes in moving them to the main tank. Just had 2 fish die in the process. More on that later.

Yesterday I received 2 new fish which are destined for my Red Sea Max 130D (32 gal). The fish are currently in a 10 gallon QT. They are a red mandarin and a helfrichi dartfish. The helfrichi is beautiful and I want to do whatever I can to assure he survives!

Currently in my cube tank are a pair of clownfish (black/white clown and picasso), a black cap basslet and a green clown goby.

Initially I planned to immediately put the mandarin in the cube - hopefully I've got some pods there. But then I decided it might be better to add 2 fish together. I won the Reef nutrition food pack at Fall fest. So hopefully the mandarin will eat food from one of those bottles. Otherwise I'm checking on getting live copopods.

So after 2-3 weeks in the QT, it will be time to move to the cube tank. I'm looking for recommendation on how to do that. The cube tank is limited in space, so kind of hard to do much re-arranging. The basslet hides most of the day - except to come out for food - but I'm afraid he might turn to be a bit aggressive if the dartfish decides to check out his cave. The black/white clownfish came from MACNA Des Moines and is about 3" long. She might be a bit aggressive at first.

Should I try to capture the clownfish and basslet and move them to a QT tank - and put the mandarin and dart fish in the cube tank for a period of time? It would be difficult to do, but.....

I have an intank acrylic refugium - but that wouldn't be big enough for 2 fish for any length of time.

????? Suggestions ?????? @xroads@xroads

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Lots of thoughts

First, always have brine shrimp eggs on hand to hatch and feed. Most fish cant resist them, and it is an easy way to get them converted over to frozen. It is the easiest thing in the world to do, all you need is eggs and saltwater.

The black cap can be aggressive, so he may be the one to try and trap and move to QT if anything. Maybe add them in with these 2 fish for the last week.

If you cant catch him, maybe put up a couple of mirrors/and or print out pictures of other black caps & tape them to outside of tank when you add the new fish.

I always make sure my qt fish come to beg for food when I come into the room. That is how I really know they are used to aquarium life.

Also before I add new fish, I feed the tank heavy, so they are nice and full when you add the new fish.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
  4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes, but I usually get them from brine shrimp direct.

Grade A Brine Shrimp Eggs

If you keep them in the fridge, they will last for years.

Add to water, it helps if you have an air stone going, 24 hours later you have millions of tiny swimming nutritious brine shrimp that fish cannot resist.

I just suck a bunch out every day and squirt into the tank. End of the week I start another batch.

You can even feed the brine shrimp frozen algae to make them more nutritious, but not really needed.

5. For the mandrin I recommend the reef nutrition mysis to get it eating frozen. I just turn the pumps off and use s little 5 ml dropper and gently blow the food in its direction. They will eat it eventually. I kept a green one for 2 years in my 28. After you get them onto frozen they will pretty much eat any frozen food. Mine loved rods and krill and live ghost shrimp. (Yes live ghost shrimp)

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Today I picked up a pkg of San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp eggs. That was my only choice locally. I'm trying right now to hatch some. Following the SFB instructions, I'm rehydrating them now, and in 1 hr I'll add the salt. I'm using a 1 gal plastic water jug. I've got an airstone - noisier than heck..... The instructions recommend a temp of 80 + degrees. Not sure how to do that, as I can't put a heater in the jug. Maybe put the jug in a 5 gal bucket with water and heater ????? After they hatch (24 hrs...... later), I'm assuming I want to feed only a small amt. How to I keep the remaining ones alive? Do I need to keep the temp up? Do I need to continue running the airstone? How long will they live? I've looked at the instructions on the SFB package and also at Brine Shrimp Direct - but didn't find that info. @xroads@xroads I'll keep looking for more info on hatching and feeding brine shrimp.

Last night I tried feeding it the Reef Nutrition beta-brine as well as some cyclopese - but the mandarin didn't go for it. The helfrichi dartfish ate anything I put in the tank. Tonight I'll try the Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast. @Boostedbolt@Boostedbolt - do you mean get it to eat the RN Mysis Feast - and then it will be easier to get it to eat frozen food?

The mandarin looks fat right now - how long can he go w/o eating before I have to be worried?

Hopefully tomorrow night I can try live brine shrimp!!!!

7. Yeah that's what I have had best luck with. I also think it depends on the fish. I wasn't able to get my red one to eat frozen because I was adding pods daily. The green one took right to the frozen but it might be because my tank was new and there wasn't that many pods for him to eat. I blindly purchased him at petco for my first fish in my 28 gallon (just finished cycle) he made it over 2 years. But like I said he pretty much came eating frozen. I think I may of gotten lucky and got a ORA one.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    lol

They make it sound harder then it is.

I just scoop up some tank water, add the eggs and air stone. They will survive with no food for a week or so, then they are not nutritious anyway. Dont worry about temp.

I just suck up some water with a turkey baster, and there will be hundreds in there anyway.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks!

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I kept a Mandarin happy for a couple of years on copepods. It was fat and happy until I received a watchman goby by mistake. It competed for the copepods and depleted the amount so my Mandarin lost wight and died. I bought brine shrimp eggs and was going to raise them but my dog found the package and ate then all. Now he always sticks his nose in where I keep my food to see if there are any other tasty snacks for him! When I rearrange my nano cube I think I will put my watchman in my 125 g and get another Mandarin. I will try your advise when I do.

11. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Is two years considered a good amount of time for a Mandarin to live in a tank? What is their life span?

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    The mandarin I have in my DT has been there for 3 years. I hope it lives alot longer! As it was well established when I put it in the tank, I never needed to add copepods. There was a good supply of them. Now, I don't know if he lives off them (still plenty in the tank) or whether he eats the frozen food I feed.

13. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Ours is 3.5 years in our tank but I dont know their lifespan.

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  14. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I had mine for almost or maybe a little over 5 years. Don't know how long they potentially could go, but I'm thinking it's longer than you would think.

Sent from my iPad via App

15. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So, my mandarin is still alive after 2 1/2 weeks in the QT tank. I've successfully hatched brine shrimp eggs and added them. I think he's eating them, but who knows. I see him going thru the motions of 'eating' something.

Couple of questions: Do I need to add the brine shrimp daily? Of if I put a bunch in - will that be enough for 2 days, 3 days ???? Since there is only the mandarin and the firefish in the QT tank, I don't think they would be eating them all at once. Will they live a few days in the tank - until something eats them? Could I put a super lot in the tank and it would be good for several - 4-5 days? Or does that pollute the tank?

If its eating the shrimp and alive thats good - but then how do I get it to start eating frozen foods - if it has a regular supply of brine shrimp?

I appreciate everyone's input on this!!!!!

16. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Oh - and what's the best way to get a good live population of copepods in the cube tank? I've got them in the DT and my mandarin there is quite fat and happy - but never had to do anything to establish them in the DT. Not sure how they are started. ?????

17. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    @xroads@xroads - have any thoughts on my questions in the last 2 posts ???? :)

18. I would just occaonsialy add pods to the cube tank. You could also add little piles of rubble for them to breed in too. I would try the best I could to get it to eat frozen while it's in the QT tank because it will be much easier

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I agree - I would much prefer that it eat frozen. Right now, I've got a set of Reef Nutrition products - Beta-brine, arcti-pods, mysis-feast, roti-feast. The challenge with them, frozen foods, and the live baby brine - is that I can't really tell if it is eating them or not. ??????

20. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Sorry, been busy.

Some of your answers.

You can probably get away with hatching them once a week. They will survive on their yolk sack for a week or so. Everyday though they become less nutritious.

You can add tons, they will get filtered out before they pollute the tank, that is a non issue.

Easiest way is to seed it with sand, live rock, etc from a tank that has a ton of pods. Just throw some in there for a week or so.