1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Acrylic Project: 30g Rimless Frag Sale Tank, #3

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Turbo's Aquatics, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Making this for a Terri/Sponge for Spring Fest

It's about 36 x 24 and 8" deep in the inside, all walls are 1/2", back and fence are black, bottom is 3/8" black. I made a few others like this using 3/8" walls and 1/4" bottom, and those were OK and are still being used, but being rimless they did seem a little flimsy - easy to twist, and definitely not for everyday use. This one should be much better. Made to hold a Maxi-Jet (Cobalt MJ1200) in the rear chamber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also flipped the orientation of the pieces - the front/back/fence are bonded to the end. Normally you would bond the ends to the front so that the front panel is seamless across the front (i.e. you don't 'see' the end of the side pieces on the front corners) but after doing 2 tanks the other way and screwing with trying to get the fence perfectly square and spaced just right (hard to explain) I just opted to do it the other way.

3. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    How much for this size tank?

4. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm doing this one for $225. Normally the overflow fence is 1/4" but since I was running low on 1/4" black and had an abundance of 1/2" black, I just made it with that.

5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    :/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/whistling.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/whistling.gifNow "SHE" is going to know how much I've paid!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/satisfied.gif

6. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm doing this one for (price redacted LOL). Normally the overflow fence is 1/4" but since I was running low on 1/4" black and had an abundance of 1/2" black, I just made it with that.

7. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Way to go BUD!!!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/kiss.gif /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/kiss.gif

8. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bottom on, just flush trimming and polishing left!

[​IMG]

9. Rocketmann

Rocketmann

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice pile of heatsinks!

10. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should see the shelf to the right of it

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Getting down to crunch time Bud....less tahn 4 weeks away! lol :=0)

So will the water overflow the whole length of the fence? How much space is there between the fence and the back wall Bud?

12. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ask Matt about crunch time. He picked his up the night before he left for Fall Fest back in 2011!!!

Did flush trimming and corner rounding tonight. All that is left is a little sanding and a quick polish, which will be done next week as the Taki project is going to take over my weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back chamber is 3.5" wide.

Fence is same height as rest of tank. Cutout for overflow into back chamber is 7.25" wide and 3/4" deep.

It's hard to see, but looking from the front of the tank there is a hole on the left bottom corner for a Cobalt MJ1200 (or an original MaxiJet). The back chamber is made so that you can put one in there and then wedge it tight to the fence so that is seals up.

When using a MaxiJet or MJ 1200 you will get about 300 GPH of flow. The flow over the fence will be about 1/4" at this flow rate meaning the tank operating water level will be about 1/2" from the top edge.

13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Matt has a stronger stomach than me! I would have been /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sick.gif not having it in advance to plan things out! I'm getting nervous already about the light, how it's going to hang, how to dial it in and how our corals are going to respond since we run T-5's/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/confused.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/ermm.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/unsure.gif /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif

Hope everything goes well this weekend for you!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Got the frag tank about 2 weeks before SpringFest :0) That gave Jeanette and I time to plan things out for the event and purchase heaters, etc. The tank was a hit at the show with many people commenting about how "sa-weet" it was :0) Quality build and worth every penny!! Thanks Bud!!!

15. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some finished shots of this tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually a few of those are probably shots of Elliot's tank. Oh well, same difference!

17. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Tank was great!