1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Acrylic colored sheet for refugium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hart, Aug 3, 2017.

1. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking of putting a light over my sump to grow chaeto, however I have had issues previously with light bleed in the skimmer and elsewhere. Could I get a couple sheets of colored aryclic and stand them up vertically to block the light? Is there a preferred source or type? I was thinking of using Weldon to bond maybe 2 pieces and notch the bottoms so water can still flow. Thoughts?

2. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
  3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You can check here as well Plexiglass White & Black acrylic sheets they might cut for you but I doubt it

here is probably better (for getting cut to size) https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic

for just light blocking, 1/16" is enough, 1/8" would be fine too. You should only need to tack-weld, if even that. If you were able to find some 100% plastic/nylon screw clamps, that would work also - search for "plastic anodizing clamp" which are 100% non-metallic, I did a quick search, looks like a bit of a specialty item

4. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thank you so much!

5. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I know I bought a 2'x3' piece of black acrylic from Menards for like $20 a while back. I think it's a quarter inch or less

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    yeah for this, anything would really do the trick - polycarbonate/lexan, extruded is ok, doesn't need to be cell cast or continuous cast. I think I've got a full 4'x8' sheet of 1/8" 'smoke' color. Heck I probably have a full sheet of 1/8" black too (probably sitting on a rack at Chestnut Signs)

7. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    That is a great tip about Menards, even better if you have some I can buy Bud! I really don't need much. I have a heat gun, would that work to bend it around the skimmer shape?

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    It would be messy, but you could do it. I'll try to see if I have some partial sheets of scrap in my garage, otherwise I gotta make a trip to Chestnut and have them get a sheet down off the rack.

9. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Ok, no worries, it's not expensive so don't go out of your way!

10. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I used 1/8" sheet of white acrylic attached to a 1/2" piece for this purpose in the refugium section of my sump. I went with white for reflective purposes rather than black. It doesn't totally black out the light but does a pretty good job. Rather than trying to notch teeth in I decided to just use some gutter guard to try to catch any chaeto from advancing through the sump.

IMG_20170312_205222.jpg

11. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    For blocking light I just used some black plastic corrugated poster board...cheap, find it anywhere.

12. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Great ideas!

Where did you find the white acrylic?

13. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    So I happened to notice an old 3g water jug that used to use many years ago to get RO water from Walmart before I had ro/Di. The curve and height match the skimmer really well, so I cut it and hit with a coat of krylon fusion. The end result should block light and hug the skimmer closely as I don't have much space. I even left some of the bottom so the skimmer can partially sit on it to hold in place.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    DIY hack to the rescue! Pics or it didn't happen :roflmao:

15. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I got mine from Regal Plastic Supply in Clive.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'm not sure when you got it there, but I've always found them very difficult to deal with. In fact I think the last time I called them, they said they were no longer selling to the general public. Unlike the other Regal Plastic locations around the state...just stay away from the Clive store.

Go here instead, these folks are really nice, I got some applicator bottles and weldon from them a while back, I think they have a scrap bin as well

Midland Plastics Locations

Midland Plastics, Inc.
    1600 E. Washington Avenue
    Des Moines, IA 50316

Ph: (515)-265-3494
    Fax: (515)-265-9857
    Toll Free: 1-800-383-8833
    Email: dmsales@midlandplastics.com

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @hart@hart I totally forgot about Midland....

18. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Skimmer sets on the bottom of the jug and wraps right around!

IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9459.JPG

19. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0

IMG_9475.JPG

Here you can see how nice it fits.