1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 19, 2012.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

This is sort of a redundant thread due to me posting in regionals (if the other thread could be closed, I'll try to keep it all in this one).

We have decided to transition from the Biocube 29 into a larger tank. I have done a fair chunk of DIY stuff with the Biocube, but it's just a bit limited for what we want so on to bigger things. No pics just yet... though I do have a Canon 7D so there will be lots of pics. I am making this thread very early in the planning phases of this 90 gallon tank so I might harvest information from as many as are willing to provide it.

Tank: 90 Gallon Marineland RR (Purchased)

I have already purchased this tank new with corner overflow. A fellow reefer had plans change and sold this to me new.

Sump: Aqueon ProFlex 4 (Possible)

I had initially planned on building my own. I don't have a lot of experience with glass or acrylic work, so I may go with a pre-made unit. Currently, the Aqueon ProFlex 4 seems like a very attractive choice. And... it'll fit into my stand beautifully (though it wouldn't leave much extra space). The ProFlex 3 would leave me some end room to have some external sump things and what not. I am, of course, open to input.

Stand: Plans under design (good amount of wood in the garage)

I am currently designing a stand. I have a pretty good amount of woodworking in my past, and my fiance's dad builds cabinets (among other things) for a living... so I should be set in this area. I'm currently planning 4"x4" vertical supports with 2"x6" horizontal beams supporting the tank. All wood wolmanzied and sprayed with waterproofing. All joints glued and screwed. I will affix some more design things later after I draft them (by hand, unfortunately unless someone has a link to some "free" CAD that is easy to use).

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150 (Possible) (not purchased)

I really like this skimmer though I'm open to input.

Heaters: 2x250 watts (or is this overkill?) (not purchased)

Wouldn't mind more input here, otherwise just pick up a pair of titanium (probably) heaters with some good reviews.

Controller: need input

I'm currently thinking of the Apex. I realize it's a LOT of controller, but there are some cool things it allows me to do. I'd love to set my LEDs to dim, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that on DIY LEDs. I would like to run the LEDs (and associated fans), pumps, heaters, skimmer at minimum. Additionally, an auto top off and maybe some reactors would be nice as well. And the pH and temp at minimum as well.

Lighting: DIY LED (under development)

Will be putting together a system with 8020 and multichip LEDs with some supplemental crees. A vented canopy will be built as part of the stand to help vent the LEDs which will each have a dedicated heat sink and fans.

Return Pump: Really open here as well. Ehiem 1260 was on my list.

This ignores a lot of the plumbing and other accessories that will need picked up as we transition along the project... but I would like to focus on the major components first and try to get some of those things situated. My biggest concern right now would be the stand, so I will try to draft up some plans in the next few days and get those uploaded as well.

For any that have input, please feel free to leave it. I look forward to the journey. I have left off the in-tank flow as I have a lot of stuff to do before that's a huge concern. I would love an MP40, though I may stick with some MaxiJet 1200s for now.

Ok, so using the stand template on ReefCentral... I have come up with some lengths to get the stand ready to go in.

3/4" Plywood Deck and Floor (2x 48.5"x18.5")

2"x6" Top Rails (2x 48.5" lateral and 2x 15.5" transverse)

2"x4" Bottom Rails (2x 48.5" lateral and 8x 15.5" transverse (will have 3 under Deck and Floor as well))

2"x4" Vertical Risers (8x)

2"x4" Vertical Supports

This should net me a stand that is around 30" tall, which matches my desk that it'll sit by. It also provides me 6" on top of the Reef Octopus 150 (if I go that route) so clearance shouldn't be an issue with any reasonable skimmer I pick. Should be off to pick up the lumber soon. I decided against the pressure treated wood because I guess they use copper in the treatment. With the right paint, it won't be an issue.

Comes out to 7 2"x4"x8', 2 2"x6"x8', 2 sheets of plywood (unless I can get 10' long). We decided to make the stand a little bit taller for better viewing. I'm 6'2" and really don't want a face full of canopy when I walk by.

I don't know how to get the pictures to automatically show, so links will have to do for now.

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...221902.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...221707.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...221746.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...221734.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...G_1456.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...G_1455.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...G_1448.jpg

i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/b...G_1443.jpg

This is the skeleton of the stand. I still have to put up the cross braces and the 3/4" plywood across the top and bottom.

2. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Looks good so far! Tagging along.

3. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looking good. If you want to show the pics inline, use the html code that photobucket gives you.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope that works for those that don't want to click links.

5. Great work! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

6. MJB Tanks Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pleasant Hill, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Off to a fantastic start with a proper stand/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

7. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    This is the stand I'm using for inspiration. The only real challenge left is to design a canopy that matches without being "massive" (I think a perfect matching top would look too bulky).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My other question... how are people mounting their canopy? I've seen some that have 2"x4" runners from the stand up to the canopy. I'm also trying to decide what kind of framing wood I want to use for it. I have plenty of 2"x4", but part of me was thinking about using 2"x2"s for weight savings. I don't expect the canopy to weigh all that much.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Canopy can just sit on the top rim of the tank. Just build it so it can't really move around up there.

9. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This gonna look really cool.

10. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    yeah, I stalked 2 big selections of trim today looking for stuff that'll work and picked up the plywood skin for the back. It's sort of an imitation oak (since no one will see the back of the tank, it's a free opportunity to save some money). Additionally, it was engineered and looked a lot more straight and easy to work with. I also picked up the wood for the canopy and started some cuts this morning before I went to teach. I am hoping to put that together tomorrow (picked up the screws for it today). And I'm hoping to put the cross supports in tomorrow. I ordered a "DJ Powerstrip" (was not the manufacturer) and will be mounting that in the stand along with some under cabinet lighting I can hook to it so I have a controllable sump light for messing around in the sump.

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    More progress. The stand skeleton is now complete. You'll notice some plywood for skinning the back in the background. The stand is rock solid at this point. I am drafting up how to build the decorative corners I want for the stand and will be looking at picking up the oak plywood for skinning the front and sides today or tomorrow. Stand is coming along nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the mean time, I also started up the canopy frame. There's a good chunk of work left on it, but this is a good start. The frame perfectly aligns with the top of the tank stand which should mean the trim will also fit perfectly and tightly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Ok, so had some ideas while showering that might just dress this project up another notch. I'm thinking of trying to get my earlier stand going (the model) but instead of making it all oak, have walnut inlays. Reference of walnut color: http://www.gowfb.ca/images/Modus/WalnutFinish.jpg

This would end up giving this sort of look. I would match the doors with it as well.
    [​IMG]

13. Yeah the inlays are an amazing idea, it will look great!

14. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you looking for a different wood grain underneath with walnut? or are you just staining your cabinet with different stains? I built a similar looking wooden structure for my fireplace mantle. I used poplar wood. Much cheaper then maple, walnut, birch, etc. It has a softer wood grain than oak and easier to stain then some like maple. It might be an option if you are looking for different wood. It looked like this when done (forgive the dull finish, I had not gotten the many layers of polyacrylic on it for the satin shine./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif):

[​IMG]

15. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I was talking about walnut inlays in an otherwise oak stand. I could use 1/4" walnut plywood as the inlay and it shouldn't cost too much. One sheet should be enough for the corners and the doors. The rest should just be oak (maybe 1"x2" for the vertical corner trim pieces), oak crown moulding, and a 1"x3" top piece for the frame. We'll have to see how it all measures out. I could also do a walnut top frame (for the very top) to make the walnut theme a little more intense.

16. Pete H.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a good plan. I think it will turn out sharp. I suppose that 1/4 in walnut plywood would not be too expensive. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif Looking forward to seeing it finished.

17. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I know you probably told me but are you going to use a controller on the tank?

18. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

I'm currently thinking of running quite a few things the full APEX. The other components will be run through a "DJ Powerstrip". Specifically this one: http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Pro-PSB9-Mount-Supply/dp/B0029L7KRY/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_t_1

Each plug in on the strip has a switch to turn off the individual components without having to unplug. I think it has a chance to be a pretty awesome stand.

I'm trying to decide between skinning the stand in 1/4" plywood of oak or 1/2" plywood with 1/4" oak on top of that. Part of me worries a little about if the 1/4" will be solid enough (and not show small warps/twists). I guess I just need to visit the lumber department and look carefully. Some big design decisions coming soon.

19. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    So, did some photoshops... would love some feedback.
    Option 1
    [​IMG]

Option 2
    [​IMG]

Option 3
    [​IMG]

Option 4
    [​IMG]

Option 5
    [​IMG]

I'm personally feeling Option 2 or 3. Option 5 also isn't bad. Option 5 would be the easiest of those three to do as well.

20. Pete H.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of doors are you going to do? I kind of like option 2. But wondering how you would incorporate the idea into the doors.