1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

47 Column Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aaron, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a build thread on nano-reef and one of GIRS members ran across and and twisted my arm to come post some tank shots over here /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blush.gif
    Here are some FTS's in chronological order. I didn't have a camera for the majority of the time I've  had my tank up so unfortunately I don't have a ton of the early stages of my aquarium. It's a 47 gallon column that upgraded my 29 Biocube and has been set up for just over a year.
    Here's the BC29 shortly before it was broken down:
    [​IMG]
    It was a good tank to get back into things but I needed more space and wanted to create something that was more of a show piece and less of a basement experiment. Enter the column:
    [​IMG]
    Sadly, there's a bit of a gap and this is the next picture I have:
    [​IMG]
    My SPS has come almost exclusively from ReefCentral's Feb09 TOTM winner from Des Moines (I'm sure some of you know him). This next one is from November:
    [​IMG]
    Not too long after I took that picture I did a little rearranging:
    [​IMG]
    Then, two days ago I tore the tank down and moved it. Things are still a bit unsettled but I snapped a quick picture after I got things reassembled:
    [​IMG]
    Once things get more settled I'll take the time to shoot some proper pictures.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good. I bet it was hard to aquascape vertically like that. Very nice!

--AJ

3. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice reef...

Trevor

4. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ok I will stop twisting now /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i love those tanks for some reason. looks nice

6. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your tank looks very nice, thanks for sharing.

7. Paleoreef103

Paleoreef103 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is the best column reef I have ever seen. Awesome.

8. Jay Well-Known ReefKeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah this tank looks amazing, well done man!

9. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where did you get that light?

10. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's a work in progress but I like to think it's coming along pretty well. I'm looking to put in an order for some cool livestock in the next few weeks. Hoping to pick up some stuff that really pops (I'm thinking a red/green blasto colony, A. Caroliniana, blue echinata.. along those lines); room is always a challenge in this tank so it might mean I'll be posting some colonies or frags for sale here.

AJ - It wasn't actually as hard to aquascape as you might think (although reassembling it when moving the tank is a PITA and then some /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/angry.gif). It was like the pieces I received were made to be assembled like this, the whole thing is held together by 4 epoxied contact points. I had originally planned to use acrylic rods to make a rock tower similar to what I ended up with so it isn't too far off my original plan, but I sure am happy it turned out the way it did /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    cowdust9 - It's a Current Outer Orbit 250w MH with four T5's, I got it new in box from someone who was selling it on Nano-Reef. My understanding is that this particular fixture is out of production, which is a shame because I'm rather fond of it.

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aaron Awesome job!! Love the rock work, looks like you cut a slice out of a reef and dropped it in there!

12. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks B-Rad! That means a lot since that's the look I was going for.
    I snapped a couple pictures yesterday and I figured I'd share them with you all. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of my D40!
    Setosa, Cherry Bombs, Armageddons
    [​IMG]
    R. Florida
    [​IMG]
    Tyree War Coral
    [​IMG]

13. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow really nice pictures Aaron and your cherry bombs look a lot better then I remember...

Trevor

14. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I took the pics under T5's only. They pop quite a bit under them.

15. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It does look like that they really look good under those T5s

Trevor

16. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It does look like that they really look good under those T5s

Trevor

17. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did a little shopping at the Diver's Den last night... I'm pretty excited! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are those Aaron?

19. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brightest Blastomussa Wellsi I've ever seen and a Symphyllia Wilsoni. I have no idea where I'm going to put either but where there's a will... In all seriousness this means I need to sell my odd deepwater lobo at the very least, I don't see how I'm going to fit a 4" blasto colony and a 2" wilsoni otherwise.

20. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For sure I might take something off your hands...

Trevor