1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Tank Build! 40 breeder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clown man, Dec 8, 2017.

1. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    so I am setting up are 3rd tank and we are going with a 40 breeder. I’m looking for advise on a skimmer and lighting for it any ideas or advise and what to stay away from ? This is a mid range price build if I have to buy new I will but if someone has something used and wanna part ways let me know also

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I used to have a killer one and used a reef octopus hang on skimmer.

3. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    A 40B can easily be lit with one good light, so you have that going for you. What are you going to keep in it?

4. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I ran a RO Classic 1000 HOB on my 65g for about a year before getting my 90g and it worked great! I still have it my garage actually if you're interested in a used one. As far as lights go I'm currently running some 165W black boxes off of Amazon; looks like the same ones are about $95 now. I haven't gone with a higher end light like AI or Kessil to compare the growth to, and I want to go with one of those in the future, but I'm really happy with the growth I'm getting and would recommend them based on my experience.

5. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Would a hydra 26 work?

6. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    And I’m staying away from black boxes not a fan of them anymore I have had to many issues lately

7. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Yep, should be fine. Still though, what are your plans for the tank? Inquiring minds want to know..

8. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Haven’t fully got to that point but I have some ideas in mind I will end up starting a build thread soon for it with pictures because well we all like pictures don’t we lol

Sent from my iPhone via App