1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! 220 gallon build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zoobie, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Got the tank today. Going to document the progress. This is what it looks like before I get it cleaned up and moved to its new home. Now just in the garage.

Attached Files:

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Cleaning hint. I used a couple gallons of muratic acid poured into a full 220 tank and a circulation pump ran for a day emptied and rinsed out a couple of times and the tank was like brand new without any coralline algae and minimum scrubbing I have my 220 still in my heated garage awaiting for me to get healed up enough to take on the task of setting up. Picked up the muriatic acid at lowes for like 7 bucks a gallon.

3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I like that overflow

4. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Ya it is going to be nice. Just have to get it all figured out on plumbing it to the sump.

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Looks like you have all the necessities in the sump below.

6. tangman

tangman

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Nice! What do you plan on putting in it?

7. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Will be mostly zoas and acans with a good mix of fish.

8. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have to redo some of the plumbing since I will have the sump away from the tank on a separate stand for easy access to clean and maintain.

9. Dan peterson

Kewanee, IL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    +1 on the muriatic acid
    I've cleaned many tanks with it
    Don't really want to breath the straight vapors
    Also works great to unclog drains!

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Less dangerous is using vinegar on paper towels. Pour a few gallons into the tank, lay a paper towel in it to soak up vinegar and get it saturated, then drape it so that it is over the rim enough to keep it from falling in, and press it to the glass. Repeat around the entire tank (paper towels that are long enough to cover the whole height of the glass).

Every so often, scoop more vinegar from the tank and slowly pour over the towels, saturating them again. After a few hours, all the coralline will easily detach.

Helps to tip the tank at an angle and do one side at a time.

However I don't think gets rid of hard calcium stains, muriatic acid might do that better. But, you can spot-treat with that also just use thick rubber gloves and must ventilate.

Not sure what muriatic will do to silicone seals?

11. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I agree with Bud I would also use vinegar

12. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My plan is to use vinegar starting tonight. I will update how well that works.

13. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I used vinegar in the past and it seemed like it took forever versus 2 gallons diluted to 220 gallons I never really smelled any fumes whatsoever . As for the seals they weren't affected at all.

14. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I've used a solution of vinegar and glycerol mixed in a spray bottle for my tanks over the years. The glycerol/glycerine makes it stick better so you don't have to repeat as many sprays. The mixture ratio can be tricky and I always forget to write it down. You could also try adding some xantham gum to thicken it but I'm not sure how well that would spray out of a bottle. I did it once and used a wide paintbrush and coated the inside of the entire tank. After one coat I was able to just spray it down with water and everything washed off. With the spray bottle method it takes me a few hours and spraying it probably 3 times total.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  15. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Got the glass all cleaned up on the tank yesterday and today.

Attached Files:

16. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Looking good

17. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. It has been a little cold to be cleaning a tank but not going to wait til spring.

18. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Got the sump cleaned up tonight. Hopefully will move tank to basement this weekend and start getting the plumbing put together.

Attached Files:

19. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Got the tank moved and the sump stand and tank put in place. Also got the pump hooked to the sump and got the water storage container set in place. Hooked up the rodi unit as well. Now just plumb the returns to the sump and the pump to the tank.

Attached Files:

20. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Ok 2nd day worth of plumbing and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have just 1 more T to put in the return line to run Carbon reactor. The storage tank needs a T and shutoff and it will be done. Hopefully tommorow I will have all the plumbing done and ready to go.

Attached Files: