1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

1st Tank Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

I'm just setting up my 14 gallon bio cube and am about 1 month into cycling the tank. I'm using about 5 lbs of live rock/ 5 lbs of dry and 20 lbs live sand. Trouble is that i'm not seeing any appreciable ammonia, but 35 ppm nitrates, about 0.1 nitrites, ph 8.2, KH 11. About a week ago, I dropped some algea wafers into the water, but nothing seems to have happened. Should I try to jump start the ammonia cycle by dropping in something dead? I've read frozen shrimp, but this seems a bit much. Any suggestions or is this a "just be patient" situation. Thanks for any thoughts. Oh, I'm using a Red Sea test kit.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    try to get something alive in there.

I would find a fellow reefer and see if you can get a little sand, algae, etc from them and drop in. Maybe get a peppermint shrimp and throw in there.

3. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Was the live rock "live" when you got it or dry? Was the live sand from a fellow reefer or bagged live sand off the store shelf? Since you are already at 35 ppm NO3 that's a sign that you had ammonia at some point and it went through the nitrogen cycle already. If you started with live rock you likely already have a functioning bacteria colony. I'm with Craig, try to add some more life to the tank and slowly increase the bioload. Continue to watch your nutrient levels and do water changes as needed (at 35 ppm I'd probably do one).

4. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    The rock was wet, which I got from Iowa Pet Foods and Seascapes. The sand was a 20lbs bag of Live Tropic Eden Aragavive Reeflakes. How much water should I change? I'd like to finally add something interesting, so perhaps I'll go with the peppermint shrimp, just 1? Should I start to think snails or other CUC? I'd like to eventually add 2 clowns, what should my NO3, NO2, NH3 be at before I can do this? and how long should my chemistry be at the optimal value before I know that the tank is stable?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the help.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    The rock from Seascapes, if it was out of the big curing tank, that's going to truly "live" meaning it has lots of bacteria on it. So that would be why you are not seeing ammonia, ammonia is very quickly converted to nitrite. If you are seeing any nitrite, that's a sign that there might be some cycling left, but you're likely on the tail end of it.

If you want to be sure, you can actually feed ammonia directly to the tank and watch the levels over the next 24 hrs.

This stuff

Ace 1qt Ammonia (10183A) - Industrial Cleaners - Ace Hardware

is surfactant free and concentrated, and cheap. Beware, you don't need much!!! IIRC I used 1/4 cup of this in a 225g tank, and that raised the ppm of ammonia by at least 1 ppm (if not more) so for a 14g biocube, I would test it in a bucket of water with a known volume. Say, take a 5g bucket (RO just to be safe, doesn't have to be RODI I don't think). Test ammonia for a baseline.

Dose about 1ml or 2ml into the bucket, stir for a few minutes, then test again. You should be able to extrapolate that unless it's too high.

Then dose the tank such that you have many 0.5 ppm. Same process, baseline test (all 3), dose, wait 15 minutes, then test again. Wait 8 or 12 hours and test again (all 3), then again at 24 hours (or at 16 and 24 if you want), and watch the levels.

What I've gone by is that if you can dose up to 1ppm ammonia and that is changed -> nitrite -> nitrate (full conversion, i.e. ammonia =0 and nitrite =0) in 24 hours, your nitrogen cycle is complete.

Now on to the reef cycle, #15 here: Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com

6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I think you're probably good to go but you can do as Bud advises to be on the safe side if you'd like. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero.. NO3 can vary. In terms of how much water to change for nutrient control, it depends on your target... which depends on what you intend to keep. I am a sucker for SPS which demand a low nutrient environment (I never see NO3 above 0.2 ppm in my reef tanks). Mixed reefs with soft corals generally do better with some nutrients in the water (around 10-20 ppm is probably fine). I believe you may start incurring invert losses somewhere around 40 ppm. Fish only tanks are generally fine for most fish all the way up to 100 ppm.

So if you felt like you wanted to drop your NO3 down to 20 ppm from 35 you'd need to replace 43% of your system volume. I'd roughly guess you have about 10 gallons of actual tank water so a WC close to 4g should get you about there. I'm not necessarily suggesting you routinely perform this large of a WC (but with no inhabitants for now you're fine). I'd actually be more inclined to continue to monitor to see how things trend. If they continue to climb after you've added things to the tank then smaller more frequent water changes would be advised.

If you're anxious to get some things added I'd do a small WC and go with a peppermint shrimp, a few blue leg hermits and a few snails. For that small of a tank stick with smaller snails since a death could foul up the water very quickly. If you're really impatient you could probably get away with adding the clowns but you'll want to monitor things very closely (I'd hold off a little longer). You can control the nutrients with water changes but be careful with larger water changes since you'll cause your temp to bounce around.

7. gordonh

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    • Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  8. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Wow, these are like the best answers to a question I've ever received, which is saying a lot given that I'm a librarian. Thanks a ton. I'll post updates as things move along.