1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

180 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, well I pulled the trigger and picked up a 180 from Bud McFadden yesterday. The more I worked on stocking my 75, the more I realized I wanted to go bigger and it didn't make sense to put money in the 75 for an extended period of time if I knew I was going to make a move eventually. This deal made it so I just couldn't pass it up.
    I'll be taking this one slow, as I have to figure out the plumbing and all that. Vinyl tubing over PVC? I know most will say PVC, but the prospect of it seems daunting to me. 
    Then I have to figure out how to fill it (14 trips to the LFS for RODI or???).  Then I have to get enough rock, enough flow, figure out how to hang my MHs, enough coral, enough fish. Much still left to think about, but I'm psyched.
    Any links or suggestions on any aspect are much appreciated.
    It took 3 guys to get the tank out of Bud's place and 4 guys to get it down the stairs into my basement. I have bruises on both biceps from where the thing kept hitting me as I tried to keep a hold of it. I wish I would have gotten ta pic of the tank sticking out the back of my buddy's Subaru Forester while the stand was strapped to the roof rack. We must have been a sight going down the highway.
    There were a couple times I wasn't sure we were going to make it and once this afternoon when we were fitting it into the top of the stairs and the weight of the thing fell onto my bruises, my knees buckled and it almost came down on me. But I saved it somehow. That was scary.
    So here are a couple pics of the thing outside the stairway where it sat until this afternoon and another of the tank on the stand in its place of honor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as far as filling it goes, with a tank that big you are most definitely going to need a rodi system. Think how many times you will be going to the LFS just for top off water and water changes.

I would also use PVC and maybe even consider putting the sump along the wall rather then under the stand, it will be easier to maintain imo and get your skimmer in and out.

Do not forget to add GFI outlets .

You can save a lot of money by using dry rock, and I mean a lot not to mention a nice pest free beginning to your project. Coral and fish will come with time, just take your time and good things will happen.

3. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Im going to chime in here mike and say absolutely do not use gfci outlets. That is the number one way to come home to a tank full of dead fish. I would recommend pvc as well. As well as you have to get a rodi machine. You have to. Wayyyyyy too much water to be making trips elsewhere for. You can get a 6 stage 150 gpd on ebay for around 140 bucks.

4. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Huh? GFI's are for your safety.

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was less concerned about the fish as I was his life, I wouldnt have a reef tank without one personally.

6. moneypit

moneypit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I'd rather come home to a tank full of stew than a lot full of ashes

7. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    will be looking forward to seeing this build. i also have a 180 it is just sitting empty right now. i would get an RODI unit or you will end up spending just as much on fuel to get water to fill it up. first thing i would do is get your rock set up in there how you want it before adding water, it's a lot easier that way. i would use PVC and if you need it flexible get some spa tubing. I also agree with mike on the sump, your stand looks like it would be hard to access the sump to maintain it. And lastly i would use a GFCI outlet, i have 2 on my system and each one has a heater and pump on it so if one trips the other is still there as backup.

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    About the GFCI, I too will say that you DO want one. A lot more can be lost (and has been by people in the hobby) without one than with one. If there is concern about extended times with no water flow, a simply battery backup can save you here. Most will only last a couple of hours, but unless you are gone for days at a time without anyone checking on the tank, I view it as a non-issue.
    As far as vinyl vs PVC plumbing, I would go PVC. And it is just about the easiest DIY you can do. I have seen builds that were intricate (read: a tape was clearly used) and I have seen those that were clearly eyeballed, but were functionally still fine. It REALLY doesn't take a craftsman to put together and glue a couple drains and returns. With PVC you can also plumb it in such away that you can take it apart (blanking on the name of this specific fitting right now). This will save you time and headache with cleaning, as with vinyl you will be dealing with clamps, at the very least. Just about the only place I would recommend vinyl is where it would be really tricky to use pvc (ie require multiple elbows each of which act to reduce your flow), but in that case, the placement of your pump(s) probably isn't ideal to begin with.
    I don't remember where you are from, but I thought you were pretty local. If you are ever in Ames, I have a couple lengths of ~8ft PVC in the garage. I am thinking they are 1.5" and 2.0", but I don't quite remember. We are moving here soon, so they will likely end up in the dumpster if not taken before the move. As cheap as these are, they probably aren't worth a specific trip out here, but like I said, if you are in the area, you are welcome to them.
    Also, I will have a VERY LIGHTLY used 75GPD RO Membrane available here in the next 1.5-2 months too. It won't make the trip as it can't be allowed to dry out, so it could be a start for our RO system, assuming you found a used one cheap. If you didn't, when you buy them new they come with them (or should anyway). When I say "very lightly used", I replaced it right around february, and these filters are good for 2-3 years.
    OR, if you bring buckets, I'd be happy to make water up for you before we move. The landlord pays our water bill, so I wouldn't be at a loss. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif
    BTW, the above offers stand for anyone, really.

9. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    C

10. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on the upgrade....more room for fun stuff!

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just bough the hurricane model from Air water and ice It has a permeate filter to boost pressure to my refrigerator . It does 75 gallons per day plus it has a faucet for the sink. I talked with Marisa and she helped me out a lot. I got gigs discount plus another set of filter for a buck. My readings went from 850 and higher to 0. The water is great and I am very happy with my purchase.

As to the GFCI defiantly use one. I had a power strip once that started to short and got wet and it was an expensive one that was supposed to kick off,.. it did not. If I had not been in the room it would have caught fire. IT just kept sparking and smoking and not kicking off. SO I think the GFCI is the safest way to go.

12. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I definitely plan to get an RO unit, but it might be a few months down the line. I do live 3 blocks away from the IC Petland, so trips for water are not too bad. It's just the initial fill that will be a huge pain unless I figure something out. My biggest concern is plumbing to it. The closest water is the washer in the room immediately next to the tank. How do most people plumb their units?
    And a GFI could be done, as long as the dude who owned our house last didn't screw up the wiring. 
    And OK, oyu've all convinced me re: PVC. Does anyone in the IC area have a place where they prefer to shop for that stuff or is it all about the same? How about bulkheads?

13. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also, I toyed with the idea of putting the sump behind the stand, but ultimately decided to go with it underneath. There's a good 2 feet or so of workspace under there, as the stand is tall. And I had to decide before I placed the tank because the sump had to be placed and then the stand over top. It won't slide through any of the openings in the stand.

It's kind of a cool design. It's acrylic and used to be a display tank, so there's a whole sump system designed behind the main wall. The water flows in, goes through there flowing to the left, enters the front of the tank, flows right and then gets returned. BUd had LR in the front section. Maybe I'll do a fuge in the back section too.

14. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I wasnt thinking behind the stand I was thinking along the side wall. Either way its going to be awesome to build.

15. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If you have a washing machine close that would work perfect for the RO/DI. Just pick up a Y-adapter and a hose connection with a push fitting. Like this http://www.airwaterice.com/product/HOSEY/Hose-and-Y-Combo.html. Run the washer on one side and the Ro/Di on the other. You can run as long of a supply line as you need after the filters. Either run it to a big brute trash can, or around to the tank.
    PVC is all the same at any of the home stores. Depending on how you are running everything Flex-pvc is nice to use in some places, I know Lowe's has some sizes of flex available by the foot. UNIONS,UNIONS,UNIONS- they are your friend and make plumbing tweaks and changes nice and easy. I wish I could have used more, but the way I have it set up didn't really allow it.  You may find bulkheads locally, some fish stores may carry a small selection. If you are ever up at AC&C in Washburn they have a nice selection of them, as well as nice valves.
    If you are ever around CR you are more than welcome to check out how my tank is plumbed. It was my first attempt, and its not perfect, but it works well and will give you some ideas for your setup.

16. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've heard that Coralville Bay carries bulkheads. I might go check them out this evening. 
    I'd love to check out your tank. I get to CR somewhat often. I'll shoot you a line next time.
    Thanks!

17. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hung has bulkheads too.

18. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hung has bulkheads too.

19. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hung has bulkheads too.

20. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    most of your PVC will be the same. I suggest putting unions in as much as possible, i put them right after my bulkheads and about a foot up from my return pump incase i need to change my plumbing. Also to help fill your tank with the initial setup see if you can get your hands on a plastic 55g drum, a lot of machine shops have extras from the Destilled water they use on their machines (these drums wont have any chemicals). For the RO unit i agree on putting a Y in with the washing machine, you can just buy extra 1/4in RO line to reach to where you want to put the RO unit (just dont forget that it has a drain line for the rejected water).