1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! 180 DD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Otis, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am finally getting around to setting up the 180DD in our living room. I have a 100 gallon sump that is located in the basement right under the tank. I will also have a small QT system seperate from the main system and possibly a frag system hooked to the 100 gallon sump.

I have researched as much information as I could so I wouldn't have the "I wish I would have's" once I have it set up. (or at least keep these to a minimum)

I bought this acrylic tank from someone on here quite some time ago and am finally able to get it setup. (Ive had a 75DD and a 35-40 sump running for a while to keep some fish and some coral.

I have my RODI setup in my basement that leads to a water mixing station right next to the sump. With a few twists of some ball valves and flipping a switch I can transfer water to my sump for water changes or redirect tank water into the drain for water changes.

My sump is about waste height so it is very easy to work in.

Ill post some pictures here soon. Feel free to chime in if you have any advice or ideas!

2. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm so jealous I wish I had a 180!

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Sounds like your next step is to come to the fest today so u can pack the tank full of colorful goodies,,,:roflmao:

4. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I did pick some stuff up today!!

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Never heard of a 180 DD tank. What are the dimensions on that one?

6. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Haha that was just my mistake on the title.. it was supposed to be display tank but ended up being DD. I couldn't figure out how to edit the title on here.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    love the looks of the deep tanks is why I was asking, but nothing wrong with standard 180's. 6' x 2' is a nice size to play around with. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

8. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I hope to get some pictures up here in the next few days when I have time.

The tank is drilled for a closed loop which I intend to use and see if I like it. I like the idea of not having cords in the tank (and not buying super expensive power heads that look good) I plan on running a dc pump that does about 3900 gph at 100 watts.

It'll also allow me to hide the nozzles under rock work and hopefully keep detritus in suspension.

I'm currently making a portion for my sump utilizing the same fabric as filter socks but using it as a sheet so washing is substantially easier. I find the typical filter socks are kind of a PITA.

The skimmer will have its own portion of the sump that empties in to the main sump. There is a bulkhead right at 6.5 inches that'll keep the skimmer water depth at 6.5 regardless if I'm doing water changes, shut the return pump off, etc. the skimmer will always have 6.5" of water to pull from, no more, no less!!!

Debating on a Refugium or algae scrubber. Which works best at nutrient export?

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Same thing I've been trying to find info on. One or the other, or both?

10. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a well running algae scrubber might do well? I don't have enough experience to know either way

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Sounds like a nice setup. did you buy the tank local? Don't see a whole lot of people run closed loops.

I don't know if you can prove which one works better. I might lean towards algae scrubber strictly from an efficiency vs. area standpoint. They can churn out large amounts of algae to harvest in a relatively small area.
    Refugiums can have other advantages outside of just a macro algae nutrient export though. Add a deep sand bed for denitrification, different algaes for cool display and food sources, pod breeding zone- again awesome food source.

12. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I got the tank in Davenport

13. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I don't think you can typically get away with both an algae scrubber and a refugium (at least with macro algae) long-term. The ATS is more efficient at nutrient removal and will likely starve out your macros. So I think it depends on what you're ultimate goals are - nutrient removal or pod breeding ground/algae harvesting. If you're looking at macros, chaeto is probably the best for nutrient removal but it doesn't serve a purpose as a food source.. others like gracillaria or ulva can be harvested and fed to tangs.

14. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Well.. little behind where I thought I would be. 180 had a leak so thats now sitting in my garage.

Bought a 210 and have started to get that setup. Picture shows the outlet off the main return pump in my basement sump. It T's off into a 1" drain line ran across my basement ceiling into my utility sink. Water changes will be as simple as turning a ball valve.

210 1.JPG

210 1.JPG

210 2.JPG

210 3.JPG

15. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Looking good. Two possible concerns...
    1) It appears that there is metal in that flex/rigid union. If the water level is going to be fairly low in the sump you're likely fine. However, the occasional salt spray on there will probably cause that to rust fairly quickly. Other non-metallic quick disconnects (unions or union valves) could be plumbed in that spot with a barb to connect to your tubing or you could even use flex spa tubing which could be glued to pvc unions.
    2) Are you sure the Jebao pump will be able to handle enough head pressure to pump water to a second floor? I have the DCT-15000 and although it claims to push 4000 gph, it drops rapidly due to head pressure (all DC pumps do).

16. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. It is a banjo fitting that sits at the lip of the sump. It makes servicing the pump or switching a pump out very easy. If it ends up rusting really bad I'll just take it off and put a pvc part in.

Yes, the jebao will push plenty of water. The tank will sit directly above that sump and there really isn't a ton of head pressure. (Obviously not 4000gph) the hole in the floor is right above the sump and goes directly into the stand of the tank.

I tested the pump with the water change line which has roughly 35 feet of 1" line and multiple 90's on it on the lowest setting and it pushed a shocking amount of water out.

17. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    well.. finally getting around to posting again. This has taken a lot longer than I would have thought. Instead of the 100 gallon stock tank, I went with a 125 gallon tank I had around and added baffles to. Tank is plumbed through the floor into the living room. 2-1.5" drains from the tank and 1-1.5" return that goes under the tank and then splits off into 2-3/4 returns.

Tank is setup as a peninsula in my living room. NOW A 210 AND NOT A 185.

210 reef.JPG

18. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Dct 15000 has enough power to push water on setting #1. I was very shocked

19. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Been a while since a updated the tank! Tank is doing well so far and has 1x yellow tang 3x clowns and a large BTA that is hosted by a skunk clown who will not leave it.

here is the tank setup with just one light running currently. The hood is raised and lowerd by a winch system I setup hanging from the ceiling. I have one wp60 powerhead on the opposite side of the tank and all I can say is it has incredible flow and fill suck sand from halfway across the tank on high. ****not the biggest fan that you can see the water level but I plan to alter or build a new canopy at some point**

210 7-14-17.JPG

20. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Here are some other random shots of the plumbing going from under the tank across the living room, through the wall and then finally through the floor into my basement where the sump, frag tank and QT setup are.

210 plumbing 7-14-17.JPG

filter socks 8:14:17.JPG

plumbing 8-14-17.JPG