1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What foods do u feed and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travis G, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey all i keep seeing people feeding things that i would eat and wonder what all do people feed and why? Whats in your tank and who requires that "special" food? Looking forward to some details!

2. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have several different feeds that I do. Variety tends to bring out the best in my fish, both in color and longevity. Mashes, pellets, flakes etc... change it up and they do well.

My reef- gets the club mash or my own mash similar to this... along with NLS pellets, and cobalt "omni" flakes. **this tank is also regularly fed food.

My Breeding Clowns- *breeders mash, NLS pellets (thera-a), cobalt Omni flakes

My Breeder Cardinals (banggai and red-spots)- breeder *meat mash, NLS pellets (thera-a), cobalt "omni flakes"

Crabs- Hair algae, flame algae, chaeto, red gracilaria, caulerpa, and opportunistic meat meals that come their way from the excess fish mashes.

*Reef mash: Club's mash usually contains: Cod, Shrimp, Scallops,Krill, Octopus,Squid, Blended Oysters, Nori, Mysis, Cyclops, Brine Shrimp, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Rotifers,Daphnia, Bloodworms, NLS Pellets, Coral Frenzy, Selcon, Marine C, Garlic Extreme, Coral-Vite, ZoPlan, PhytoPlan, Marine Snow, Reef Chili

*Clown mash: squid, crab, shrimp, krill meal (FAF), Kelp meal (FAF), mysis, bloodworms (enriched), garlic clove, vitamin mix (FAF), Nori sheets shredded- all bound by FAF gelatin

*Cardinal mash: squid, crab, shrimp, krill meal (FAF), Kelp meal (FAF) *this is cut down by almost 75% though in this mash, mysis, bloodworms (enriched), vitamin mix (FAF)- all bound by FAF gelatin

LIVE FOOD: mysis, rotifers (both plicatilis and rotundiformus), parvocalinus crassirostris, tiggeropus californics, T. Iso micro-algae, Tetra micro-algae, p. shrimp and crab larvae as well.

My reef tends to thrive the more often I throw live in their as opposed to dried products.... and I am able to gut load them all before hitting the reef so they are pretty nutrition packed.

3. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feed Rod's Food (frozen food) and New Life Spectrum Thera A pellets. Both are awesome foods in my opinion and making sure your fish have a nutritious variety of food will keep them looking great and healthy to fight off illness. I take some Rod's Food and thaw it in a cup, add a little seaweed and garlic, and use a turkey baster to feed them that for a week. Then I wash the container and thaw another week's worth of food.

BTW - I have both Rod's Food and NLS coming out my ears. If you're interested in buying some, feel free to text me. Quality food is everything, and what I have will be cheaper than any LFS.

4. Travis G

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow everyone has their fish and corals on a serious diet! Lol ill be shooting u a text shortly about the food!

5. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have alittle of everything. Varity Is the best. I tend to stick with things that have high protein

6. Travis G

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Once i have more of a variety ill probably start feeding rods food. Sounds like a crazy goos blend

7. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like rods food...Herbivore blend when I use it. I like PE Mysis too a lot. I have my own mush I make also which has pretty much everything in it

8. Railcar79

Railcar79 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feed some food from club DIY food event, NLS, NLS thera A (thank you Shayna) and some cube food from when the tank first went live, and Omega One Nori. I have some sprung nory too but trying to finish off the omega one first

9. Travis G

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im gettin some NLS thera a from her too!

10. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yep, I forgot, I feed PE Mysis quite a bit too. Mainly because my mandarin likes them and I want him to stay well fed, but the other fish love them too. I've been thinking about adding Reef Chili to my mix - where do people buy that?

11. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whats your guys thoughts on freezing marine snow and kent zoe in with a DIY food?

12. To add into what everyone else has posted (covers most of my grounds for food, lol) my herbivores also eat the heck out of nori. You can buy this at a local oriental store. You get quite a bit too for the price.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Reef Chili - Bulk Reef Supply