1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? What filtration on QT?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IneptHero7, Jun 28, 2015.

1. IneptHero7

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering what people have found to be the best filtration for them on their QT tanks. Does the average sponge filter that has been allowed to pick up a bacterial colony from the DT always do the trick? Or do you prefer a small hang on power filter? Or do you possibly sacrifice some live rock from your DT?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dont ever put in LR. 1. it can absorb medications if you have to treat the fish. 2. it gives parasites a place to hide and grow.

To me, it depends on size and intent. I recommenced qt everything. If it is wet, QT it. So many pests and parasites can come in on fish, corals, even snails & their shells.

Airstones, Spong filters, small hang on back filter. Ammonia alert badge, water changes, prime are good tools.

3. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    +1 to sponge filters they are cheap and work good for what it is

4. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Great question!

I currently use an old 12G cube with its internal filtration. In the past I used a 20G with no filtration and rely on weekly water changes.

Typically, the volume of water is substantial compared to the single (typically) fish that's in the tank and if you need to medicate you may kill any beneficial in the filters.

In the 12G I change 1 - 2 gallons per week using water from my display tank and have never had an issue.

Hope this helps!

-Eric