1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to Thread and CR

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Derek, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hello All, I am new to this community and just moved to Cedar Rapids from MN.

A little background info about myself. I'm 24 years old and have had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the past 3 years in college. Just moved to Cedar Rapids and decided to upgrade my tank to saltwater. Ended up being a lot more expensive than I originally anticipated. The tank is 6 feet long, 24 inches deep and I decided to make it a peninsula tank in my new house. I have 2, 15k Maxspect razor LED lights above the tank with a Maxspect Gyre 150 circulating pump inside the tank. I have a 30 gallon sump under the tank. I attached a picture I took last night to this thread.

Tank has been up since the beginning of April (2015) and have the following in the tank currently.
    1 Copperbanded Butterfly fish
    1 Flame Angel
    1 Damsel
    1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    2 Clown Fish
    2 Sand Sifting Conch
    1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab
    a dozen more hermits and snails.

I guess a few questions I have for you guys.
    What is Fall Fest? Where is it and where can I find information about it?
    I currently don't have Corals in my tank but really want to start adding some, where is the best place around Cedar Rapids to get some? Or who on this form has some corals for sale that would be good for a new saltwater enthusiast like myself? Looking to start off with some colorful Zoas, maybe a plate coral or 2, not sure what there is to offer around Cedar Rapids.

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Welcome to the Cedar Rapids region. Looks like you have a good start on your tank . You have found the right spot if your looking for a local or regional group. There are numerous people here locally as well within driving range to find frags of all sorts. Just post up and let people know what you are interested in and you will be quite surprised on what you will find. Not too much for stores locally but there are a few nice ones in the quad cities area.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the region and the site. As @Roman@Roman said there are a number of locals that would be willing to help you out.
    I don't have much for corals at the moment, but I do have plenty of green hammer and I could spare a couple heads if you're interested.

Fall fest is our annual Fall Frag swap and conference. We also have Spring fest in the spring.
    We have a couple speakers, typically pretty big names in the hobby. A dozen or so commercial coral vendors. A handful of other vendors selling various hobby related goods, and of course any club members that wish to sell.
    We wrap up the day with a nice raffle with thousands of dollars in goodies. They are awesome events, and you'll want to plan to attend.

4. HarleyHawk

HarleyHawk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the CR region. There is some very good people in this club. And there is a very good selection on corals to buy from any where from low end stuff to high end. and the high end stuff is always cheaper then what is out there. What kind of corals are you looking for

5. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the responses, I'll definitely make some posts letting people know I'm looking to buy. @blackx-runner@blackx-runner I am very interested in buying a few heads from your green hammer if you are offering! and @HarleyHawk@HarleyHawk I'm looking for beginner to intermediate corals of all sorts. Not really anything in particular yet.

I was thinking I'd start off with a few different frags of Zoas around the tank, maybe some Eagles Eyes, Sunny D's or something of that sort. I would also like to get either a torch coral or hammer coral, red and green favia brain coral, some sort of red plate coral or a Jayda's watermelon plate. At some point I would like to buy a bubble tip anemone but that doesn't have to be right away unless you guys think it would be better to get the anemone now rather than later?

Those are a few of the things I've liked but I really am not to picky and I don't NEED all of them.

6. Blaze

Blaze

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the area!!
    Lots of great corals around for excellent prices and experienced people to answer any questions you might have. I personally wouldnt keep an anemone in a tank that you plan to turn in to a reef since they do occasionally wander around. I just removed one from my tank after having it for a year and it never moved. It all of a sudden decided to go for a stroll but luckily i was able to remove it before it got to my sps colonies. That is just my experience though, others might have anemones that have never moved and have no problems at all with them. I also live in Cedar Rapids and I am overdue on fragging my coral. Shoot me a text if you want to pick up some frags. I have Zoas(red, blue, green, orange, pink), Soft Coral(Nepthea and Colt), Lots of Ricordia and mushrooms, and lots of SPS.
    Josh
    319-310-6985

7. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Blaze@Blaze , I am definitely interested in purchasing some variety of Zoas, Ricordia and mushrooms! From your experience, how hard is it to keep SPS corals? I'm still new to the saltwater world so I'm expecting some growing pains and not sure if it's a good idea to indulge in SPS corals right away or if it's ok to dive right in.

8. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much Josh (@Blaze@Blaze ) for hooking me up with a great reef starter pack! Everything is in the tank and looks well. I will take some pictures tomorrow during the day and update the thread with the new corals.

9. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Welcome, to the area. Glad to have ya.
    If you have any questions at all don't hesitate.

10. Blaze

Blaze

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear everything is doing good!

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    @Derek@Derek you're welcome to stop over for a couple pieces of hammer. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

12. welcome to GIRS Derek! the CR region has allot of helpful members an allot of nice tanks also! thanks for posting your background info and looking forward to seeing you around at a function.