1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FFrost, Jul 1, 2015.

1. FFrost

Adel
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Decided to dive into building a reef system. Got a fluval spec tank as a gift and got it cycled with dry rock seeded with live rock . It currently houses four snails (which are breeding already) and an emerald crab. Been taking it real slow, learning water chemistry and such.
    Soon realized this tank is freaking small.
    Don't have room (or money) to go big, so I picked up a 29 gallon Biocube. Bought the intank basket, 3 more led lights, two hydor powerheads, wavemaker, heater.
    Looking at getting intank refugium, dosing pump, ATO, Tunze skimmer, more test kits. 20 pounds dry rock and sand. Tank sits dry and waits for more equipment.
    I like the rimless look with the kessil light, but that may be down the road. I know light sucks and it may overheat.
    The fluval will probably be all Zoas. Planning on mixed reef Biocube with some of the easier to keep sps,lps,soft,mushrooms and zoas. Probably 4-6 fish and cleaners. Looking at watchman Goby and pistol shrimp.
    I hope to find some good deals on frags and attend the Fragfests to get the tank going. It should be nicely cycled by the time the fall fest comes around.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    welcome!!

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the club!

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Post up some pics of you get a chance.

5. FFrost

Adel
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    It's not much to look at. Was started in May. Water parameters and temp staying steady. Gallon water change weekly with ro/di. Coraline algae starting to grow.

tank 1.jpg

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Looking good. Welcome to the club.

7. welcome! we all have to start somewhere. i personally feel like i learn something new about my tank every week, weather it be thru observation or research.

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to the club. You will find a wealth of knowledge here to help you. Fragfests are a great place to pick up frags. Be sure to get involved with your regional group as well!