1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

It Could Never Happen To Me!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ray/Jen_Reefin, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Wasn't I a fool thinking it couldn't happen to me.
    Last night I sat down like I always do and started to do some fragging, some pieces that had broke off in transport, and some stuff that was choking out. No big deal. All was going good. and I stepped out side to have a smoke, continued on my happy way. right b4 bed I placed all the coral in the designated areas. went out and had another smoke. washed my face, off to bed I went.. No Big Thing!!

Woke up this morning and my mouth (lips) felt numb. looked in the mirror and my lips mouth was swollen badly. I looked like Hitch (Like the movie) and it progressively started to get worse, my breathing started to get heavy, coffee didn't taste right, I knew this wasn't a common spider bite.
    Went in and woke up Jen< asked her to run to HyVee to get some Benadryl. ( keep in mind 5:55am)
    No woman was going to leave the house that early to go to a store for Meds. LOL
    She asked what happened so we went threw the steps of what did I eat, drink, wear, soap, etc.
    Conclusion Fragging== Zoas Boom the answer! {Palytoxion Poisoning.} Off to the ER. we go.
    This was a trip that should have been recorded. The Doctors were clueless< the questions were endless and funny, you smoked it? You ate a what? How did this happen? You drank the water? OMG
    2 pills and a shot, and the heart monitor patches. I am home! Lesson Learned.... Wear Gloves when playing with Frags. and don't smoke with out washing your hands prior. even if you have done it multiple times, it can happen to you Even in Iowa. They said it could take up to 3 days for the swelling to go down. All and all im fine and the frags look great!!!!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Holy cow man, that is crazy! Did you take pics of the swelling? I imagine the doctors were clueless...I can just imagine the funny questions.

You're lucky that you didn't get the toxin on the paper of the cigarette, then as it burned down to it, you inhaled the toxin. Not sure if that would even have been possible as the heat may have destroyed the toxin but imagine if it didn't...

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Ya Jen took some pictures of the swelling. .. The questions were quite comical! I will try to get them posted soon.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dont believe you until I see the pictures!

5. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Wow what a crazy ordeal! Glad you're alright. I've heard of zoas poisoning tanks and what not but nothing like this. Glad you shared this story.

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have had mild symptoms like irritated eyes and numb lips slightly swollen cuts on fingers. I wear gloves and glasses now when frag ginger zoas and palys. But nothing bad enough to go to ER. I would have loved to see the doctors face when you told him lol. Hope you feeling better.

7. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    [​IMG] These bad boys.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  8. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Swelling continues around to the left side.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Looks like Jen put you in your place with a fat lip.o_O

10. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Lol. You wouldn't ever think she would ever do that to me do ya?

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Lol. Naw she is to nice to throw you a whooping.