1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Baby plate corals January 2016 update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0

We lost a plate coral in late September due to a "kalk incident" . After the coral died I moved the skeleton to the back of the tank behind a rock pile so it was out of sight but would still get light since I knew this was a not-too-uncommon outcome and we were hopeful it woud happen. We first noticed the babies after about 30 days but weren't sure if they were babies or something else. Probably about 30 days ago we were 99% sure they were baby coral (Donny has had a similar expeirence and he was confident they were corals when he was at our house). I estimate there are somewhere around 100 of them ranging in size from 2x the size of a pencil eraser to less than 1/2 the size of one. The larger ones are on the side of the skeleton that got more light in the back of the tank.

With the growth of other coral in the tank we decided it would be a good time to get them out before we had to bust other corals to reach them with the tongs (back of a 30" deep tank made tongs the only option for my arms!). So, we removed them 2 day ago. Anyway, in the process of moving them to the frag section of our sump we must have knocked 5-6 of them loose as I found them in the sump. About 1/2 of these I glued to plugs and the other ones I left "loose" in the sump to see if there would be any difference in survival/growth rates. We are letting nature take its course on the other ones until they grow more at least.

I will try to update this post periodically as things progress. Any input from someone who has had this experience would be great.

[​IMG]

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    That is really cool. I always wanted to kill a cool plate to see if this would happen, but never had the guts

3. BigB

BigB Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yea that's awesome. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen about a year ago with the same results. But I'm still waiting for a couple plates to put in my tank. I'll post some pics when I get them.

4. BigB

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That's cool. If I ever kill off a plate coral I'll be sure to keep the skeleton around for awhile and see if anything happens.

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    That is really neat Dave! I was given an injured plate but it didn't survive:9( I have the skeleton in the back of the 180 but there is no sign of new life:9( Please let us follow along on this journey! I'd love to watch it! I believe Su/violet has experience with raising baby plates! :0)

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I remember your post. So how did he remove them or did he wait until they dropped off on their own?

8. BigB

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was just talking to him about it last week and he said they are about the size of a quarter or bigger and are starting to pop off on their own.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Cool. I look forward to seeing what happens. I bought a really pretty plate coral in August from AZNutty - at Donny's event. Bought it on Saturday. Left on Monday for the week. Got home Friday eve and it was a goner. I kept it for a month or two at the back of my tank, but then finally tossed it. Darn. I didn't think there was any chance of it coming back to life after that.

10. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Update on the baby plates - still have ~100 or so babies on the original one in this post although some have popped off on their own - I have glued them to frag discs so they don't get lost in the sump (none of the ones that were loose when I originally moved the skeleton to the sump have made it). They have grown quite a bit but are still pretty small. The largest aren't even the size of a dime yet.

The orange plate that was also damaged in the kalk incident finally died about 2 months ago and now is also sprouting some babies although not near the number as the green one did - maybe 16 or 17 so far.

[​IMG]

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    This is so cool Dave! Thanks for the update and pic!! Keep it coming!

12. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Both Mine have died Dave. I have not given up on them because of this tread and that i had read something like this on the internet somewhere.

Thanks for update

KP

13. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    July update: The green babies are growing pretty fast with the larger ones about the size of a quarter when fully inflated. Several have popped off on their own and they are large enough we are no longer concerned about them getting lost in the sump. We even discovered one in the display tank that had apparently popped off when the skeleton was there and it seems to be doing fine.

The orange ones are also growing nicely but there are only 15 of them (compared to 100+ of the green ones - but not sure if there are still that many as some may have gotten smothered by their siblings on the skeleton).

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Blanch

Blanch Inactive User

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    wow they have grown nicley since i was over last

15. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's really cool Dave! Cute little guys lol

16. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    January update: The plates have grown greatly since July - the larger ones are 2" or so when inflated and many more of the green ones have popped off the skeleton. We removed the orange ones off the skeleton in August and they all seem to do fine in the frag tank.

The green ones look a little curled up in the picture as I had just fed them coral frenzy before the pic and that is their feeding response. Interestingly, there are some tiny ones on the green skeleton that I am not sure if they are that small due to having been crowded out by their larger siblings and are are now visible when they popped off or if the skeleton is still producing babies (I assume the former but if anyone as any insight please chime in).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Holy cow there's a lot of those green ones! I recently had a beautiful thing rainbow plate die and this gives me hope that it may be a blessing in disguise.

Bill

18. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Hopefully some of these will be for sale?

19. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    We've sold a few already when folks are out for another reason but haven't actively marketed them at this point.

We also discovered a couple in the display tank that must have fallen off when we removed the skeleton and didn't even know they were there until a few weeks ago. Interestingly, they are two of larger ones now so apparently they are more adept at fending for themselves then we gave them credit for early on.

20. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    WOWZA! ! Awesome Dave!!!#