1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Apex programming for return and skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeremy, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I picked up another energy bar and I would like to hook up all major pieces of equipment to apex except dosers so if there is a problem and I am away I can shut it down. I already control the lighting, heating, cooling, and power heads but I need some help with pump and skimmer and probably some reactors.

I want the return and skimmer to run all the time. I set everything else up in fusion using the easy setup NOT the advanced. So do I just set up
    Fallback: ON
    Initial Off Time: ???
    On Time: ???
    Off Time: ???
    Do I set these all to Same time so it runs 24/7? I can setup a feed timer but probably wont use it. If I do I think I will set skimmer to stay off a few minutes longer than return to prevent overflowing.

How is your setup? And How can I do mine in easy setup or is it better to do advanced setup?

2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Fallowing.

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Another question. Anyone have chiller hooked up to controller? I have a 1/3 hp JBJ Artica chiller. It has its own temp control. Do you just let it control itself or run through apex?

I calibrated temp to be same as display. there is a little variance but not enough to worry about. I have it controlling its self now. Any problems or anything to controlling with apex?

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I am apex illiterate but I think if you just set outlet to on instead auto it will always stay on.

5. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I thought about that to but does it go back to on after power outage?

6. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Check this place out, has 99% of what you're lookin for.
    http://forum.neptunesystems.com/

Otherwise I can say with my tank, I turn the skimmer off a few times a day as to not overskim the tank.
    If Time 12:00 to 13:00 Then OFF (turns off noon to 1pm)

Set ON or Set OFF is a perma set. (but as you go down in the programming, the next line down CAN negate the last line)

So:
    Set OFF
    If Time 12:00 to 13:00 Then ON
    would turn the skimmer on from noon to 1pm, but otherwise it's set off all the time

As far as chiller/heater stuff goes, set the internal thermostat on the device, then set the apex.
    Not too sure about chillers (perhaps setting a little under vs heater is set a little over) but someone made the good comment about heaters therostats failing. Either they'll fail off, or melt and then stay on. So for heaters, set the heater thermostat to 78, but set the apex to turn it on and off like this:
    If Temp < 77.5 Then ON
    If Temp > 77.7 Then OFF

Then the heater thermostat will "always" be on, so it's the apex doing the work vs the heater's internal thermo. Of course if the apex ever fails, the internal will catch, but you won't have any undue wear and tear on the internal.

As far as power outtages, the entire system will boot back up.. Not sure what you're asking..

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have the heaters already setup on there. The chiller has a controller so running through apex the outlet is either on or off. so when off the chiller controller shuts off. I cant remember when it powers back up if it remembers last temp setting of goes to a default. I guess would I be better off letting the chiller control its self or through Apex.

And the skimmer and pumps will run all the time. I could just bypass the program and set outlet to ON or program to run all the time just not sure how to set program that way.

The initial off time:
    On time:
    Off Time

I don't want them to shut off unless I manually shut them off. Do I set on and off time the same? And what does the Initial off time do?

8. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    The apex doesn't loose programming during a power outage. At least I haven't experienced it.

9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Thanks.

10. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    My jbj chiller controller goes back to default if power is lost too. For the Apex I would set it to turn on at 80 then off at 75. Then set your chiller controller to say 77. That way the chiller controller will run your chiller and not the apex. Apex will have a shut off as a safeguard if you lose power and the chiller controller resets back to 70.

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Thanks.

12. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Thanks Kungpaoshizi. I got on Neptune's forum a they helped me.
    For my return and skimmer I had to change to advanced setup and...
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    Works great.
    And for chiller with temp control. Turn down chillers temp 1 degree below what you want apex to control then if outlet on apex stays on only off 1 degree.
    Don't know if this helps anyone but thought I would share.

13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I use to have mine programmed just how I wanted it, then I killed my APEX and lost it all LOL. Never went back and redid it.

It would shut off anytime with the return pump
    time delay before turning back on - this one was nice and prevented a lot of overflowing skimmer cups.
    I had intention of putting a high level float in the skimmer section as well, but never got that far.

14. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Once you get everything set how you want it save it all. Doing this will let you reload and install all saved programs as you saved them with one click.

15. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Sav on my computer or can I do that on Fusion?

16. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I need to add delay on skimmer to prevent overflow. The people on the forum are great. I told them what I wanted and they wrote it up for me.

At least now I have a little bit of an idea what I am doing.

17. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Here's mine
    Return pump
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    If FeedC 000 Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Shimmer
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If FeedB 005 Then OFF
    If FeedC 005 Then OFF
    If FeedD 005 Then OFF
    If Sw3 OPEN Then OFF

Sw3 is a float in my skimate collector. It shuts down skimmer when it's full.

I would use those feed modes man. That way your corals get a crack at some food every time you feed the fish. I shutdown return and skinner 30min every time I feed fish. There is always a clear feeding response from corals.

18. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I use the feed mode on my vortex pumps for feedings. I leave skimmer and return running.

19. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Hey @FishBrain@FishBrain what happens if you cancel the feed cycle early? Does the skimmer kick back on immediately?
    I can't remember how exactly I ended up programming the delay in my skimmer, I know it took me a couple try's so that every scenario I tested worked as I wanted. I just can't remember exactly what I had LOL.